Replacing my Gen 5 Radions

m.kristoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Moving on from my Gen 5 Radion pro's. I have narrowed down my new lights between the AI 64 HD's and Kessils.
My tank is 48x24x30 wide. The lights will be mounted 12 to 14" above the water so it will be almost 36" to the bottom of the tank.

I spoke to kessil and they said I can get away with 3x 360x with reflectors or the A500x. Big price jump between the 2! The AI's are made to mount high and in my opinion, have a better look to the eye than the Radion's.

My current setup is 2 xr 30 pro's mounted sideways and a xr15 pro in the middle. My tank will be LPS low (euphyllia, duncans, zoe's) and sticks mid to high in the tank.
I have a few options I need opinions on.
Option 1: 2x hydra 64 mounted sideways and a Hydra 32 in the middle
Option 2 : 3x Kessil A360x with 50mm reflector- may add 2 reef bright strips later.
Option 3: 2x A500x with 50mm reflectors with A360 in the middle or a 3rd A500x for the middle- may add 2 reef bright strips later

The Radions are really nice lights but to "flat" in my opinion. I actually like the look of the Gen 4 Radions better.

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t like the look of only LEDs (does not matter the company). They can give decent growth…just not pleasing to eyes(unless you are seeing from the top). To counter that I have added a metal halide 400 watt(20K radium) surrounded by 5 Radion pros over my 340 gallon. The color spectrum from halide matches with AB+.
At some point of time, I would like to add 3 ATI T5 bulbs to fill the “dark” spots.

Sam

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to me that would be a down grade going from g5 to hydras . i had ai in the past and will never buy another one i just had bad luck with them . right now i have kessils and mh reefbright combo over my 4 foot tank and love it am not telling you to buy mh lol . i dont know what you budget is but i would look into reefi or stratons i know if i ever switch it would be between those. i love my kessils but to light a tank with them you would need alot

OP
OP
m.kristoff

m.kristoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
to me that would be a down grade going from g5 to hydras . i had ai in the past and will never buy another one i just had bad luck with them . right now i have kessils and mh reefbright combo over my 4 foot tank and love it am not telling you to buy mh lol . i dont know what you budget is but i would look into reefi or stratons i know if i ever switch it would be between those. i love my kessils but to light a tank with them you would need alot
My budget is what ever it take to find the balance of coral growth and looks good to then eye. I looked at stratons but couldn't find any in stock. The Reefi looks like a nice light

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my setup

Attachments

• 5E6FD186-374E-4D47-97BC-0A6C8FC95EE7.jpeg
    5E6FD186-374E-4D47-97BC-0A6C8FC95EE7.jpeg
    109 KB · Views: 83

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My budget is what ever it take to find the balance of coral growth and looks good to then eye. I looked at stratons but couldn't find any in stock. The Reefi looks like a nice light
+1 on ReeFi. They are excellent. I wrote a review of them a few years ago:

OP
OP
m.kristoff

m.kristoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
+1 on ReeFi. They are excellent. I wrote a review of them a few years ago:
Are you still running them? what is the max height off the water?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you still running them? what is the max height off the water?
I am currently running the Neptune SKY because I was invited to be on their NSI test team. But I kept the ReeFi’s for future use.

I had mine mounted at 10”. I don’t know the maximum height, but the PAR tests published on their website were done at 15” above the water:

Last edited:
OP
OP
m.kristoff

m.kristoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I went to my LFS to get a kessil and he was sold out. They did let me borrow a couple of AI hydra 64's and I am really impressed for sure. Really like these lights. Under Rated for sure

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back