Replacing side sump panel (glass)

pledosophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
am putting a new side panel on this glass sump today.
I removed the old broken one, removed every bit of silicone, had a new panel cut, I have taped off the glass for the seams (not pictured), and have the new silicone on deck.
Question, what is the best way to silicone the new panel on?
My idea is to put a few toothpicks between the glass and the new panel (to allow room for the silicone) and place the panel on top. Then to tape the glass on one side so it can open like a book. Then fold it off to the side.
Then to spread the silicone over all of the pieces that the new glass will connect to, before folding the new glass back over.
Will that work?
Does anyone know what the working time with silicone is and how long do I have to pull the tape off?
At that point can I just leave it be for a week so it cures? Will I need to clamp it or can I just tape it in place?
Thanks! First time for me.

IMG_4043(1).jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicone is not applied the same way as acrylic solvent ( No toothpicks!)
Make certain your silicone is 100% silicone (no color or algaecides) and aquarium safe - apply a bead to the edges and slap the new panel in place. Silicone creates a mechanical bond between the glass pieces and needs to cure at least 24 hours before you fill the tank with water. It gets stronger over time as it cures, 48 hours is 4x better than 24, in theory ( not certain in my math/ set time is accurate- but the concept is true otherwise).

look at the seams in your aquarium. The seams should have no bubbles. Those will happen if you move the glass around after you put the new piece in place. Let the tank dry for 24+ hours and use a razor blade to carefully trim the excess from the exterior surface. The slop on the inside will provide some mechanical strength to the bond and any trimming should avoid cutting into the seal and weakening or destroying the mechanical bond between plates.
Good luck!

Back