Replicating neo-phos and neo-nitrate

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone replicate neo-phos/nitrate using sodium nitrate and sodium phosphate?

I ask because i have the dosing dialed in on my tank using Neo-phos/nitrate but I'm almost out. I do have have sodium nitrate and sodium phosphate. I would like to replicate it but don't really know how.

I can go get more but wanting to save the $.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone replicate neo-phos/nitrate using sodium nitrate and sodium phosphate?

I ask because i have the dosing dialed in on my tank using Neo-phos/nitrate but I'm almost out. I do have have sodium nitrate and sodium phosphate. I would like to replicate it but don't really know how.

I can go get more but wanting to save the $.

I have both those products. They work great and are reef safe.

Here’s the calculator. Use potassium nitrate and potassium phosphate as the entries; it will be close enough for our purpose.

V A R I A N T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had great luck doing the same with Green Leaf Aquariums brand. They offer a nice variety of supplies, bottles, and their CO2 regulators are top notch if you need one for a calcium reactor.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had great luck doing the same with Green Leaf Aquariums brand. They offer a nice variety of supplies, bottles, and their CO2 regulators are top notch if you need one for a calcium reactor.

I'm not a fan of potassium nitrate for this purpose. Too much potential for potassium to rise excessively.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you have looks good to me.
I'm using Trisodium Phosphate and Calcium Nitrate from Loudwolf and they're working well for me.

Planted Tank Dosing Calculator in post #2 is where I started also.

I don't have a scale accurate enough for exact phosphate calcs for mix so went with:
0.5 teaspoon trisodium phosphate into 1 liter of RO/DI
*seems to be working out roughly the same as NeoPhos (that I ran out of) and, obviously, just adjust dose based on testing.

I've only had to dose nitrates a couple of times so no experience with NeoNitro but went with:
113 grams calcium nitrate (total bottle I had) into 500 mL of RODI

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. The only problem with calcium nitrate is that it can be difficult to find a source without impurities. If you can find it, I believe it is optimal. :)
Loudwolf website has every food-grade additive I could ever think of at better-than-Amazon prices,,, plus free shipping. (That's where I buy mine, FWIW)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back