Repopulating a large FOWLR system

Spicoli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 310 Gallon FOWLR that was 9/10'ths stocked and I got hit with Velvet. I'm almost done with eradication (2 months of medicating and now removed the copper). I had to treat the DT as I had no room in QT for the number and size of fish I had.

I'll spare you the gory details of how many and what I lost. What remains is:

-One large Purple Tang
-One large female Lightning Maroon Clown
-One large Auriga Butterfly

All of these were brought in to this tank young and with 2 or 3 of their own species. Now I'm looking at bringing new conspecifics back into the tank and wonder if I have a chance of introducing 2 new Aurigas, a new mate for my clown, and maybe more Purple Tang, but I'm doubtful about that. PT was the hardest to get conspecifics to live together.

----Should I pull the 5 inch Auriga and get 3 smaller ones again, or could I perhaps bring 2 new ones around 4" and have them get along? I know its a crap shoot probably and I can always try.

----I figure the clown will pair again, I'm going to get her a 1.5" male and try.

---Anyone have experience getting a large aggressive adult Purple Tang to accept same species? I did it before with all these but they were juveniles.

Thanks for any sharing of your experience or knowledge. I'm trying to figure out if I should just start ALL over or start with what I have left. I'll keep the clown no matter what.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I've got a 310 Gallon FOWLR that was 9/10'ths stocked and I got hit with Velvet. I'm almost done with eradication (2 months of medicating and now removed the copper). I had to treat the DT as I had no room in QT for the number and size of fish I had.

I'll spare you the gory details of how many and what I lost. What remains is:

-One large Purple Tang
-One large female Lightning Maroon Clown
-One large Auriga Butterfly

All of these were brought in to this tank young and with 2 or 3 of their own species. Now I'm looking at bringing new conspecifics back into the tank and wonder if I have a chance of introducing 2 new Aurigas, a new mate for my clown, and maybe more Purple Tang, but I'm doubtful about that. PT was the hardest to get conspecifics to live together.

----Should I pull the 5 inch Auriga and get 3 smaller ones again, or could I perhaps bring 2 new ones around 4" and have them get along? I know its a crap shoot probably and I can always try.

----I figure the clown will pair again, I'm going to get her a 1.5" male and try.

---Anyone have experience getting a large aggressive adult Purple Tang to accept same species? I did it before with all these but they were juveniles.

Thanks for any sharing of your experience or knowledge. I'm trying to figure out if I should just start ALL over or start with what I have left. I'll keep the clown no matter what.
Two Aurigas may or may or may not fight. There are many varieties that are compatible such as threadfin, pakistani and lemon as examples. A trio makes more sense. Maroon too may pose an issue with another incoming clown as they can be territorial however have an acclimation box ready if bringing in another clown. Purple tangs are jerks and can be uninviting. Again, an acclimation box for protection of fish will help while it gets accustomed to new arrival. The mirror trick with tangs sometimes work and often temporary.
Ive had to trap tang more than once and isolate for at least a week to get aggressor to calm down.

OP
OP
Spicoli

Spicoli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 3 aurigas living in harmony for 1 year
The clown was previously mated
PT is work, I know, but I had 2 living together

I'll just try it. If I have to, I'll start over with groups of juveniles

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I had 3 aurigas living in harmony for 1 year
The clown was previously mated
PT is work, I know, but I had 2 living together

I'll just try it. If I have to, I'll start over with groups of juveniles
Agree on a trio as recommended is odd numbers. . . 1-3-5 and so forth

OP
OP
Spicoli

Spicoli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two Aurigas may or may or may not fight. There are many varieties that are compatible such as threadfin, pakistani and lemon as examples. A trio makes more sense. Maroon too may pose an issue with another incoming clown as they can be territorial however have an acclimation box ready if bringing in another clown. Purple tangs are jerks and can be uninviting. Again, an acclimation box for protection of fish will help while it gets accustomed to new arrival. The mirror trick with tangs sometimes work and often temporary.
Ive had to trap tang more than once and isolate for at least a week to get aggressor to calm down.
LOL. You are right about the mirror trick. My PT goes 911 when I use a mirror or a decoy (I 3D printed a PT). Mine is hyper-alpha and it rocks his world. Sometimes I just want to do it to show him who is boss.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 40.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back