Reptile rescue

  • Thread starter Thread starter N.Sreefer
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 16, 2020
Messages
1,506
Reaction score
2,151
Location
Dartmouth, N.S
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So off topic but hoping someone here has experience with anoles and house geckos. I work at a nursery operation and we recently got a a shipment of plants in from florida loaded with lizards. I would really like to save the ones I can, the greenhouse space is not all heated during the winter and any that get outside (nova scotia canada) wont last the night. Would a trap with insects in it work? Catching them is impossible theres close to 100000 plants in there and it has 40 foot ceilings at least mabey higher.
 
You can try but they can fit in very small spaces. I've always used a net.
Just don't grab the tail - it will break off. It will grow back but it can be a bit traumatizing.
 
So other easy quick options would be a cheap heat lamp and bulb or a heating pad for overnight survival
@N.Sreefer This is probably one of the best ways to catch them as well: use a heat source over night that will draw them to collect in that area, maybe inside a container of some sort that should make them easier to catch. I have recaptured escaped anoles before using this method, either with a heat lamp or natural sunlight and warmth from a window.

Infrared or ceramic heat sources should work well, and supplemental lighting can be added with red light bulbs (red incandescent bulbs can also provide the heat source) since reptiles do not see or respond much to red light while people can see by the red light provided.
 
Thanks guys I will try that tonight that's a wicked idea! I feel bad for the lil buggers must've been some trip in that semi all the way here haha. I appreciate all the help hopefully I can save some of em.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 2.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new