Res Sea ReefLED 160s noise ?

Holst

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 17, 2021
Messages
105
Reaction score
126
Location
Denmark
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone..
Is there anyone else inhere that owns Red Sea ReefLED 160s and is irritated by the noise from the Fan ?
I got two above my 425XL, love the light but hate the noise.. :/

Just if i'm the only one having this problem or just what to expect...
 
my reefled50 makes a noise up and down with the fan. almost sounds like cell phone interference in a way. and my reefled90 is silent.
 
my reefled50 makes a noise up and down with the fan. almost sounds like cell phone interference in a way. and my reefled90 is silent.
Okay, both my ReefLED 160s is not at all silent.. :/ Louder than my skimmer...
Well, maybe I make a canopy for it..
 
New lights, or running for some time?

Did you try to clean fan? Stupid question, i know, but......

If new, return to seller, contact red sea and see what they think about noise level....
 
New lights, or running for some time?

Did you try to clean fan? Stupid question, i know, but......

If new, return to seller, contact red sea and see what they think about noise level....
I bought them totaly new ! But has always been noisy ..
Cleaning them regularly. Does not sound like vibration or so, just the "air" that is making the noise when moved too quick..
 
Is there any option to regulate fan? Probably they use high flow fan, and then noise is "normal".....

But, i think its worth, great lights, i can live with fan noise in that case ;)
 
Hi everyone..
Is there anyone else inhere that owns Red Sea ReefLED 160s and is irritated by the noise from the Fan ?
I got two above my 425XL, love the light but hate the noise.. :/

Just if i'm the only one having this problem or just what to expect...
I've not yet bought my tank as it's being custom made, but I've been testing all the kit beforehand so I'm ready as soon as it arrives. This is when I noticed the noise of the lights. The tank will have 4 lights and is going in my study, and my GF WFH, and I know she will not be keen on the noise, so I need to solve this problem before it starts!

I have the 115 model, but I'm sure the noise will be similar on all models. I was playing around with it today and turned it on without the protective cover on, and the noise was significantly reduced, down to what a PC fan would sound like even at max RPM. It must be that the cover is too close or too wide and causing noisy turbulence. I found that covering the fan with my hand makes it sound like it's in turbo mode, but I'm sure it isn't increasing the RPM so it must be turbulence.

The solution, I imagine, will be a cover that's not so close to the fan. I'm going to test that theory in a few weeks as I'm ordering a 3D printer, and one of my first jobs will be to make a cover that has like a bubble over the fan to see if that improves the noise. I'll post back if I have any success.
 
I've not yet bought my tank as it's being custom made, but I've been testing all the kit beforehand so I'm ready as soon as it arrives. This is when I noticed the noise of the lights. The tank will have 4 lights and is going in my study, and my GF WFH, and I know she will not be keen on the noise, so I need to solve this problem before it starts!

I have the 115 model, but I'm sure the noise will be similar on all models. I was playing around with it today and turned it on without the protective cover on, and the noise was significantly reduced, down to what a PC fan would sound like even at max RPM. It must be that the cover is too close or too wide and causing noisy turbulence. I found that covering the fan with my hand makes it sound like it's in turbo mode, but I'm sure it isn't increasing the RPM so it must be turbulence.

The solution, I imagine, will be a cover that's not so close to the fan. I'm going to test that theory in a few weeks as I'm ordering a 3D printer, and one of my first jobs will be to make a cover that has like a bubble over the fan to see if that improves the noise. I'll post back if I have any success.
I gave it a go and the result is fairly good. Here's the 3D model I made:

https://makerworld.com/en/models/2782494-red-sea-reefled-g2-115-quiet-fan-cover#profileId-3092720
It doesn't make it much quieter according to my decibel meter, but I can hear a difference in the noise created.
It's not 100% a cure for the noise, but it's a good cheap and easy start.

My next step is going to be to buy a Noctua NF-A8 pc fan and install it on top of the cover to see if that completely silences the fan noise. I'm only trying this because in my experimentation, I broke two of my fans and the Noctua fans are cheaper than the ReefLED replacements.
 
Yeah, this was also happening to me with my AI Hydras ended up being fan cover. Hope this helps! goodluck
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 22.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 30.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new