Rescue baby scopas in an Evo 13.5 G - think before you get on my case!

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw someone get jumped on due to a baby sailfin in a 14 G.
The picture looked almost identical to mine so let's say one inch.

I don't qt anything or use any poisons on fish but I do observe them, especially the baby fish and in here it can graze all day, which it does and is fattening up nicely.
She came with top sail split to the base and the top of her tail missing, she was borderline hlle and had some white spots.

DSC_0004 (1024x683).jpg

The split healed in 48 hours and now the tail has regrown, she is putting weight on daily and eats any food I add, mosly vegi and nori flake.
If you think she would be better off swimming in poison with nothing to graze with some plumbing bits and nothing to do except be stressed then that is your opinion but feel free to keep it to yourself! ;)

DSC_0003 (1024x759).jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a big tank we can "Plan to add" this fish into so we can avoid any discussion from the TP who can never see a tiny fish in a small tank as a good thing. :)

Nice save. I do this kind of rescue activity when I can, too.

Edit: The tank looks well established and I wish I could grow my hair back like this fish grew back fins. It looks well on the road to recovery. Thanks for posting and saving this fish from an early death.

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a big tank we can "Plan to add" this fish into so we can avoid any discussion from the TP who can never see a tiny fish in a small tank as a good thing. :)

Nice save. I do this kind of rescue activity when I can, too.

Edit: The tank looks well established and I wish I could grow my hair back like this fish grew back fins. It looks well on the road to recovery. Thanks for posting and saving this fish from an early death.

Thanks, I have rescued a few tangs now, I know I can feed them naturally so they recover quickly, it swam out of the bag, no stress and was grazing algae within 30 seconds, if she had gone in to chemical water she would have been dead in 24 hours.
I like the baby fish and underdogs! :)

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not the biggest fan of these tiny tangs, not because the fish aren't great but because they have such a high metabolism at this age that they need to almost constantly be grazing. I fear quite a high percentage don't make it very long before you even consider qt.
So size wise the tank might not be ideal for more than a couple of months but I do agree the fish will benefit from the grazing opportunities massively.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw someone get jumped on due to a baby sailfin in a 14 G.
The picture looked almost identical to mine so let's say one inch.

I don't qt anything or use any poisons on fish but I do observe them, especially the baby fish and in here it can graze all day, which it does and is fattening up nicely.
She came with top sail split to the base and the top of her tail missing, she was borderline hlle and had some white spots.

DSC_0004 (1024x683).jpg

The split healed in 48 hours and now the tail has regrown, she is putting weight on daily and eats any food I add, mosly vegi and nori flake.
If you think she would be better off swimming in poison with nothing to graze with some plumbing bits and nothing to do except be stressed then that is your opinion but feel free to keep it to yourself! ;)

DSC_0003 (1024x759).jpg

I think the difference is your sailfin is alive and the other person’s is dead. I think what you’re doing is great and I’m thankful there are people nursing these beautiful fish back to health like you’re doing.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back