Whats wrong with my scopas tang?

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i have a scopas that i had for about a month now and its eating great. Raw nori, new life spectrum pellets, hikari seaweed extreme pellets. It was thin as heck and wasn’t eating when i got it but since i keep it outdoors in a pond/lagoon system the rocks are covered in algae and it started grazing on the rocks immediately and after learning to eat pellets its now quite chubby. But this morning when feeding i noticed something weird, the body looks like it has dimples or scars? Ive got a pair of clarkii clowns and a one spot foxface in there. Nothing else. Any idea what caused this? Sorry for the blur pics its kinda hard taking pics from above with refraction. Its still eating like a pig and showing no signs of distress atm. It does not look like hlle. Its basically only where the gut is. The lower front quarter

AEE1BE4F-0C71-473C-96AF-45F8688E90FB.jpeg 986B010D-929A-4977-9495-98D741E8BA91.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like bacterial tufts and may be from the pond like environment it’s in. The water quality in addition to a very inadequate diet likely the issue
Quarantine treatment using seachem kanaplex with a ruby rally bath will be needed
Diet, add
LRS herbivore diet
Spirulina brine shrimp
Mysis shrimp
Small plankton
Formula two frozen
Hikari veggie diet

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i have a scopas that i had for about a month now and its eating great. Raw nori, new life spectrum pellets, hikari seaweed extreme pellets. It was thin as heck and wasn’t eating when i got it but since i keep it outdoors in a pond/lagoon system the rocks are covered in algae and it started grazing on the rocks immediately and after learning to eat pellets its now quite chubby. But this morning when feeding i noticed something weird, the body looks like it has dimples or scars? Ive got a pair of clarkii clowns and a one spot foxface in there. Nothing else. Any idea what caused this? Sorry for the blur pics its kinda hard taking pics from above with refraction. Its still eating like a pig and showing no signs of distress atm. It does not look like hlle. Its basically only where the gut is. The lower front quarter

AEE1BE4F-0C71-473C-96AF-45F8688E90FB.jpeg 986B010D-929A-4977-9495-98D741E8BA91.jpeg

Tangs that eat a lot of plant material often develop lumpy stomachs as a result, I think that is what you may be seeing.

Sorry, I can't see clearly enough to be sure though. Did you have all of the pumps turned off when you took the picture? Another trick I use is I place a small clear tank partially submerged in the tank and take the photo through that. You might have something around the house that would work, I made up something by cutting the bottom of a bucker out and gluing a piece of glass in it.

Jay

OP
OP
J

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like bacterial tufts and may be from the pond like environment it’s in. The water quality in addition to a very inadequate diet likely the issue
Quarantine treatment using seachem kanaplex with a ruby rally bath will be needed
Diet, add
LRS herbivore diet
Spirulina brine shrimp
Mysis shrimp
Small plankton
Formula two frozen
Hikari veggie diet
It kinda goes away throughout the day. Lumpy then flat as per usual?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It kinda goes away throughout the day. Lumpy then flat as per usual?
That's a key symptom to what I described - that is food in the gut showing through the body wall. Nothing to worry about.

Jay

OP
OP
J

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs that eat a lot of plant material often develop lumpy stomachs as a result, I think that is what you may be seeing.

Sorry, I can't see clearly enough to be sure though. Did you have all of the pumps turned off when you took the picture? Another trick I use is I place a small clear tank partially submerged in the tank and take the photo through that. You might have something around the house that would work, I made up something by cutting the bottom of a bucker out and gluing a piece of glass in it.

Jay
Yes lumpy is the word i was looking for. The stomach has bulging lumps then it goes away throughout the day. It eats ALOT. Its almost 3 inch now and can eat 15 pellets 3x a day while picking on seaweed. Non stop eating.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a key symptom to what I described - that is food in the gut showing through the body wall. Nothing to worry about.

Jay
Okay makes sense as to why i just started seeing it as it has just gotten comfortable eating pellets few days ago and has been eating like a pig now. Thanks

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back