resealing of a tank

Duval125

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know how to seal a tank and can you do a good job at it. Would like it done soon. Thanks

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your talking about resealing the glass panels, then you need to take the tank apart, and put it all back together sealing it that way.
The bead of silicone thats used on the inside of the tank, that is just a sanity bead, thats not water makes the tank water tight. The silicone inbetween the glass panels that bonds the glass together is what makes the tank water proof.

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1
Why I asked if it leaked:
Have you ever pulled silicon off glass? As I remember, it can kind of peel off like tape. Thus, if a tank leaks, I would think the silicone has become disbonded from the glass, and that this would affect the structural integrity of the tank. If by “re-sealing” you mean applying fresh silicon over the top of existing silicone, even though this may stop the leak, this may not repair any disbondment. In fact, over time I suspect it may worsen as pressure would still be being applied. The new, softer and more pliable silicone may stretch and prevent leaking, but the older, harder less pliable silicone may continue to disbond and lead to catastrophic failure.
If the tank leaks, it may be best to disassemble the tank, clean the seams and re-build the tank from scratch. If it does not leak, then "re-sealing" may just be added protection I guess, but I suspect it will not enhance nor repair the structural integrity of the tank.

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @ReefingMadness - Let's say it doesn't leak. Could one cut the bead out, careful not to damage the film of silicon between glass surfaces -the part that's doing all the work - and apply a new clean fillet of silicon just to clean it up, just for aesthetic reasons?

Also, how much does the plastic trim contribute to the integrity of the tank? Is it aesthetic, mostly?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea you could cut away the bead along the glass without issues, and apply a new looking bead. I've got a 240g tank, no visible bead of silicone on the outside of the glass.
The plastic trim that comes with most all tanks is an integral part of the tank, it keep it from bowing, and eventually pulling apart.

philfree

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea you could cut away the bead along the glass without issues, and apply a new looking bead. I've got a 240g tank, no visible bead of silicone on the outside of the glass.
The plastic trim that comes with most all tanks is an integral part of the tank, it keep it from bowing, and eventually pulling apart.

With that said, do you feel rimless tanks have a shorter... um... "lifespan"?

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The manufacture of my own rimless said they use a thicker glass for non-euro braced, truly rimless tanks. Of course this is by-design. Making your own rimless tank by removing trim is surely another thing. :)

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never done it myself @Duval125, but by masking and using a dowel that will give you the fillet width you want, I suspect you can get a very clean look relatively easily. I like the look of black silicon.

Of course I suspect black silicon is like sin; it'll jump through six feet of thin air to get to a clean white shirt!

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1435159855.554205.jpg

There is a guy in our local club who may have experience, and be willing to work with ya. PM me for his contact info.

OP
OP
D

Duval125

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 220gal tank I filled it up and it was fine for about 8 hours then it started leak in the middle at the bottom. I'm assuming the glass have to come apart?

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I'll have to let others more experienced than I comment, but I suspect that it will need to be dismantled and reassembled, if it's to be trusted at all.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you'd need to pull the bottom pane off and resilicone the entire bottom piece back on.

spllbnd2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is leaking from aany seam, from my experience you will need to dismaintle the tank and reseal completely for a good sound seal. New silicone doesn't stick to old silicone very well in my experience.

Cheers,
Alex

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta remove the old silicone, clean really well, then resilicone. Piece of cake.

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sold you the tank and it wasn't leaking. It may have been stress from the move. You gather up the materials and I'll help. I wanna keep you happy with it. I had recently applied fresh silicone so idk. We can get together and figure it out.

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need a framing square spring clamps masking tape silicone caulk gun a few 2x4s and some hands. Like I said I'd be happy to help.

Oh, and a blow dryer.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back