Research on clam iodine uptake?

LagoonReefLife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard and read that clams require and use iodine, and that it's critical to maintain.

Does anyone know of research done showing this?
I'm having a hard time finding a source for this claim.

OP
OP
L

LagoonReefLife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure they utilize iodine like other light loving animals, but to what degree, who knows? Google Scholar is your friend in this arena. I dose iodide daily and keep it near NSW levels (but not above) without issue.

I'm sure they probably do need it, I'm not trying to insinuate they don't.
I'm just curious to know if anyone knows of research, references to, or any documentation really, of Tridacna clams and iodion consumption.

I'm dosing it daily with Tropic Marin Element A-. Although the downside is they don't disclose the amount, so I have no idea how much it's adding.
My ICP tests have been at the bottom of NSW, I dosed luigi's iodine for Triton's recommended period but same results.

How much of what type of iodine are you dosing?

Last edited:

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use Seachem iodide and usually start with 1-2 drops per 100g tank water. But with macro algae growing in the system and/or large biomass, you can dose slightly more. Iodine is something you can easily overdose, so it's better to spread out the amount/dose, instead of dosing a lot once or twice a week. Also, I would recommend to dose iodide over iodine, as iodide is bioavailable form of iodine and is less prone to causing issues with corals, animals, etc. Lugol's is chemically reactive.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 80.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 8.3%
Back