Research on clam iodine uptake?

LagoonReefLife

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 5, 2023
Messages
109
Reaction score
86
Location
Sterling
What state or country do you live in
Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard and read that clams require and use iodine, and that it's critical to maintain.

Does anyone know of research done showing this?
I'm having a hard time finding a source for this claim.
 
I'm sure they utilize iodine like other light loving animals, but to what degree, who knows? Google Scholar is your friend in this arena. I dose iodide daily and keep it near NSW levels (but not above) without issue.
 
I'm sure they utilize iodine like other light loving animals, but to what degree, who knows? Google Scholar is your friend in this arena. I dose iodide daily and keep it near NSW levels (but not above) without issue.

I'm sure they probably do need it, I'm not trying to insinuate they don't.
I'm just curious to know if anyone knows of research, references to, or any documentation really, of Tridacna clams and iodion consumption.

I'm dosing it daily with Tropic Marin Element A-. Although the downside is they don't disclose the amount, so I have no idea how much it's adding.
My ICP tests have been at the bottom of NSW, I dosed luigi's iodine for Triton's recommended period but same results.

How much of what type of iodine are you dosing?
 
Last edited:
I use Seachem iodide and usually start with 1-2 drops per 100g tank water. But with macro algae growing in the system and/or large biomass, you can dose slightly more. Iodine is something you can easily overdose, so it's better to spread out the amount/dose, instead of dosing a lot once or twice a week. Also, I would recommend to dose iodide over iodine, as iodide is bioavailable form of iodine and is less prone to causing issues with corals, animals, etc. Lugol's is chemically reactive.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.2%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new