Reserved Clown

beyer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered 2 clowns. One medium and one small. I placed them in their quarantine tank after I properly drip acclimated them for 2 hours. It's been 5 days now and I just noticed for the past day or two that the smaller one stays in a particular bottom corner and doesn't swim around much. Also, when I feed he hasn't even been swimming up to the surface to get the food. Does anyone know what his problem may be?

Parameters are in check

IMG_0525.JPG

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
clowns are often weird little things. They behave oddly most of the time. The female is probably keeping him over there. She will be a bit rude and bossy until he figures out who's boss. She'll still be rude and bossy after that, but it's normal. As long as he isn't breathing heavily, pooping in white strings, getting skinny despite eating, covered in dots or mucus, and his fins are all in tact, then he's probably ok. Just be sure that he gets some food. You may need to squirt a little food for the larger clown and then a little for the smaller one closer to his "comfy place"

OP
OP
beyer

beyer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok awesome thanks! I have been watching for the white strings because I thought I saw a small one on him today but was unsure.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok awesome thanks! I have been watching for the white strings because I thought I saw a small one on him today but was unsure.

It will be very obvious if/when it happens. Don't worry :)

OP
OP
beyer

beyer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be very obvious if/when it happens. Don't worry :)

As a follow up, now the clown has me worried. It looks as if it's hard for him to swim. He is almost always swimming facing the surface but doesn't move around much, I caught him laying on his side on the bottom of the tank a few times and just today I noticed some fading in color in his tail. I would say he is breathing fast compared to the other clown. I also tried target feeding him with a baster but no go. He doesn't eat. Is there something wrong?

Here is a pic of him laying on the bottom.

IMG_0548.JPG

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see anything physical I could point to, but being a new clown the suspicion always falls to brook. If so, then you'll want to do an acriflavin (or ruby reef rally) bath for 90 well aerated minutes. While they are in the dip, you'll need to sterilize the QT and all equipment in it. Set it back up and put the clown (and all other fish that may have been with him) back into the QT and treat with metroplex.

OP
OP
beyer

beyer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My worries were correct. Not much longer after I posted my comment I walked back in the room and he was laying on his side motionless. He died:(. Is there anything I should do with the other clown (which seems to be fine)?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My worries were correct. Not much longer after I posted my comment I walked back in the room and he was laying on his side motionless. He died:(. Is there anything I should do with the other clown (which seems to be fine)?

I'm sorry for your loss. I would treat the other clown and any other fish tht might be in the tank with him the same way I described above.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry for your loss :/ I actually think it's possible that it could have also been bacterial. I see an area on his tail in the first picture, and how you describe his tail "fading color" soon after sounds suspiciously like a gram-negative, kills very quickly.

I agree with melypr about treating the rest of the fish for possible brook (that treatment will help with bacteria as well) but maybe try to obtain some kanaplex/furan-2 just in case. If you see white blotches, red streaks, or quickly fading patches of color, I'd add those to the metroplex.

Last edited:
OP
OP
beyer

beyer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see anything physical I could point to, but being a new clown the suspicion always falls to brook. If so, then you'll want to do an acriflavin (or ruby reef rally) bath for 90 well aerated minutes. While they are in the dip, you'll need to sterilize the QT and all equipment in it. Set it back up and put the clown (and all other fish that may have been with him) back into the QT and treat with metroplex.

Do you recommend a quick way to sterilize the QT ? Would just a 50/50 white vinegar and water scrub work?

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleach. Rinse and dry. There won't be any residual that will cause harm.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vinegar works just fine if you're pressed for time, just rinse it well after - no need to dry completely like bleach.

If you go the bleach route, I'd let it sun-dry for a few hours.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back