Reset tank

Guttersnipe

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 2, 2018
Messages
745
Reaction score
771
Location
Los Angeles
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reef2reef, Happy holidays!
I recently had a very successful tank full of sps for the last three years. At this years RAP I bought a new tank and ever since the tank upgrade everything went downhill. I lost about 95% of my corals.
at this point I would like to reset my tank and start fresh. What’s the best way to do this? Should I get all new dry rock or can I still use my current rocks? I’m thinking about getting all new rock cause I feel like the current rockwork Has bad mojo. A lot of my corals died so I don’t want whatever is in the rocks to carry on to my fresh start. Am I over reacting with this idea? Or can I just “cook” the rocks in complete darkness for a few months to let everything leach out?
Thanks reef2reef
 
If you have had any form of zoanthids or palythoa i would highly reccomend AGAINST cooking the rocks due to palytoxin poisoning. If you have not using your current rocks and cooking them should be okay but you probably won’t need to them to cook for months.
it’s always fun to aquascape though so if you want new rocks I’m the last person to suggest against it
 
Maybe try cooking some new dry rocks in a trash can for a while and add some bacteria and food to get them going. While if your tanks still running maybe try adding some bacteria to the tank while this is happening to see if things recover. I started with rebiotic because I changed from 400 gallons down to a Rubbermaid 100 gallon because things just were not growing or looking right. I want to believe it helped because things are growing now but it could have been the lights I added and the time I gave stuff to settle in.
If the tank doesn’t bounce back by the time the rock is ready I would change out 3/4 of the rock with the freshly cycled dry rock and keep adding bacteria for a while. But I would like to think you can get the tank back to health with a few months of time and a good bacteria source to out compete and bad stuff from the acro deaths.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new