Restarting 20 gallon, need advice for stocking

LukeSivyer45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A1F7B60C-9DAC-4AFC-BFB6-C2A7A7A35535.jpeg

I was wondering because it was a minimal scape, what would be some good animals to keep in this?

Cheezle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of blenny? I thought about midas but I think they get a bit too big. I also thought about any open water swimmers like cardinals but wasn’t sure
My vote is a flame tail blenny! Mine hangs out with my clowns, citron goby and swims with my mandarin. The only one that doesn't care for him is my watchman.. but that's kind of expected. Super cool to watch him peck at the rocks and swim around like a tiny eel

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In so small a tank, clowns will probably wind up attacking any other open water fish. I’d go for sand or rock dwellers to go with them.
Tailspot blenny and shrimpgoby + pistol shrimp gets my vote.
I’d get a bit more rock in there, the more hiding spots + coral real estate the better.

OP
OP
L

LukeSivyer45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote is a flame tail blenny! Mine hangs out with my clowns, citron goby and swims with my mandarin. The only one that doesn't care for him is my watchman.. but that's kind of expected. Super cool to watch him peck at the rocks and swim around like a tiny eel
Are they herbivores or carnivores? If so what should i feed them?

OP
OP
L

LukeSivyer45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In so small a tank, clowns will probably wind up attacking any other open water fish. I’d go for sand or rock dwellers to go with them.
Tailspot blenny and shrimpgoby + pistol shrimp gets my vote.
I’d get a bit more rock in there, the more hiding spots + coral real estate the better.
Yea what would you feed these herbivorous blenny’s?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of blenny? I thought about midas but I think they get a bit too big. I also thought about any open water swimmers like cardinals but wasn’t sure
Midas will probably get a tad big - but a cardinal would be a good choice.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree with the goby recommendations. Even if you go for coral, don’t get gobies first. They will be too stressed without enough coverage - I learnt the hard way with a Yasha goby which jumped several times until I got my rocks into this cave formation instead of just “Lying around” on the sand. Now I have that same goby constantly hiding in the rock and sometimes throughout coral. Same with my Hectors Goby and Acicularis Clown Goby. My Griessinger Goby remains close to the sand bed and loves to crawl around on it.

Blennies I disagree on having in nano tanks unless they’re a 2” or less species. After my Linear passes I’ll stick to the small species such as E. bimaculatus as they’re much less aggressive and less likely to actively eat SPS coral.

The other thing you may want are fish that actually patch throughout the branches of coral (especially if you go the SPS route). So you may want to take perching fish into account - I know I love watching when I catch one of my fish swimming between my corals. So I’d recommend a Gobiodon species but also you’d need to wait till you get more coverage in terms of coral.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back