Restarting a "dead" tank

Earl in Texas

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 28, 2025
Messages
2
Reaction score
17
Location
Onalaska Tx
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am re-starting our aquarium that we have had stored in a shed at our new home in Texas for at least 4 years. I'm sure that all the live rock and sand we had stored in 5 gal buckets is "dead rock" by now. What is your recommendations for start up? I am thinking of using a bacteria concentrate like Dr Tim's one and only to jump start things. Thanks in advance!
Earl
 
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246
 
Hello! New to this forum. I am getting ready to start up our aquarium after a move and 4 years of storage in our shed in Texas. I'm sure the heat and time have killed the live rock and sand packed in 5 gal buckets so I am looking for advice on start up. I have a 105 gal tank and bio-balls in a sump to start up with. Looking to get a canister filter to get it all going. Should I get some bacteria concentrate like Dr Tim's to jump start the rock/sand or is it worth the effort? I am also thinking about Mollies as a start up fish to cycle the system. Thoughts and advice please.

Thanks-
Earl
 
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246
 
Welcome to Reef2Reef! I am against using fish as a way to cycle a tank. I think it's an outdated practice. I would go the live rock/ live sand route or use a bacteria startup such as Dr Tim's One and Only
 
I am re-starting our aquarium that we have had stored in a shed at our new home in Texas for at least 4 years. I'm sure that all the live rock and sand we had stored in 5 gal buckets is "dead rock" by now. What is your recommendations for start up? I am thinking of using a bacteria concentrate like Dr Tim's one and only to jump start things. Thanks in advance!
Earl
Welcome to the forums!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new