Restarting our Tank....

StephyC09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our tank has seen better days. At one time it teemed with life of fish and corals... Then our heater went on the fritz, husband had zero time to keep up with it, all the fish died, heater went out (we didn't know until after our blue Tang died), and we have sadly let it go... The last 2 corals look sad and I don't think will come back. It's covered it algee. We talked about switching to fresh water as it would be a bit less maintenance and if we go on vacation easier for some one to care for it. I reminded my husband he's the one that begged for the tank and we live the colors... So now we want to restart it. It still has circulating water and everything in it... How do you all suggust restarting it? Here a sad sad photo of our tank....
IMG_20200605_162320.jpg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if the water never left the rocks, the cycle never undid or retrograded to a weaker ability than full running reef,

clouding would exist to plug up otherwise open live rock pores, you should simply rinse out the sand completely clear not partially, then rinse the rocks externally in saltwater, and refill in all new water plus clean rocks and sand. its instantly able to re begin at that moment, skip cycle, if water has been in it. doesnt even have to be circulated and heated, water = bac remain for eighty years lol

OP
OP
StephyC09

StephyC09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if the water never left the rocks, the cycle never undid or retrograded to a weaker ability than full running reef,

clouding would exist to plug up otherwise open live rock pores, you should simply rinse out the sand completely clear not partially, then rinse the rocks externally in saltwater, and refill in all new water plus clean rocks and sand. its instantly able to re begin at that moment, skip cycle, if water has been in it. doesnt even have to be circulated and heated, water = bac remain for eighty years lol
Do you suggest taking the sand out of the tank or just vacuum it really well?

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take out sand and go bare bottom or just get new sand, then add water and good to go.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back