Resting empty tank on its short side

Gogi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. I’m moving my waterbox lx 190 into the house today. There are two ways for us to take it. Taking it through the house will save me from having to dismantle the garden fence and do some tricky terrain. But to go through the house the tank will need to be placed on its short side for a short while. Is that a problem for it structurally?

OP
OP
Gogi

Gogi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean placing it down vertically yes. So thats its side (smallest) pane is on the floor.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean placing it down vertically yes. So thats its side (smallest) pane is on the floor.
When we moved my Red Sea 750XXL into my house we had to briefly stand it up on one end and then rotate it to position it to go down the stairs. I imagine that Waterbox has also engineered their tanks with similar moving constraints in-mind, but you could always give them a quick call to confirm.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. I’m moving my waterbox lx 190 into the house today. There are two ways for us to take it. Taking it through the house will save me from having to dismantle the garden fence and do some tricky terrain. But to go through the house the tank will need to be placed on its short side for a short while. Is that a problem for it structurally?
You should be ok but ise some sort os cushion if you have to tip it in a way that the edge touch the floor. Peace of carpet will do

Eggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve stored tanks on their ends many times with no ill effects.
Had a 125g stored this way for many years. I set it up a year ago and have had no issues with it.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a 150 long (72x24x19ish) stored on edge as my garden tool container in the garage for about 5 years before I finally got the basement finished and set it up without issue.

OP
OP
Gogi

Gogi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a 150 long (72x24x19ish) stored on edge as my garden tool container in the garage for about 5 years before I finally got the basement finished and set it up without issue.
Haha @Billdogg. That’s quite a multipurpose tank.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I’ll leave un update on how it went.

I’m gonna try to avoid tipping over the edge if at all possible. I’ve learned that can crush corners the hard way years ago.

OP
OP
Gogi

Gogi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All done. The tank is on the stand. 4 of us managed without much trouble. Lots of cardboard and dense foam to set the tank down when pivoting around corners.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be ok but ise some sort os cushion if you have to tip it in a way that the edge touch the floor. Peace of carpet will do
I used some cardboard under a moving pad - just be sure to watch the edges when you're tipping it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back