Results of over 1L All For Reef dosed over 1 day in 60 gallon reef tank.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

GabeM

King of... something.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just some feedback on the AFR product and is entirely anecdotal. I would not recommend doing this ever.

I had to rush move out of my apartment and my boss allowed me to move my tank to the office in the first week of March. Originally this was not an issue as I spent probably 60 hours a week in the office. I was dosing AFR with a BRS 1.1 doser that in actuality dosed around 2ml per minute and controlling it with a KASA strip. I had no monitoring hardware at this time and was testing everything manually. The week after they closed our office (March 22) I came in to check the tank and between Monday and Wednesday the BRS doser was left on by the KASA strip as it entered an error state and left the doser on, dumping the entire reservoir into the tank. The doser was still running when I came in Wednesday night - panic ensued! Everything looked very stressed.

Since I had not moved my RO system to the office yet I did not have any water available for a water change. I had to grab the RO system from my old apartment Thursday and set it up. I tested the alkalinity on Thursday and it tested around 14. Between Friday and Monday I was able to do 3 20% water changes. The alkalinity after tested around 11. I have since just kept up with 10% water changes and I am happy to report over a month later that I did not lose any livestock, (fish, clams, shrimp, lobster) and only lost 2 SPS frags.

I am fairly certain that if I had been using any other product I would have nuked the tank if I dosed a liter of the product in under 24 hours - especially if not able to perform immediate water changes. I am very happy with this product and I am making it DIY. I will probably break the ingredients into their own dosers over time.

I have since gotten and Apex and Trident so that I have better control of the tank while I am not in the office. Lesson learned!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 16 28.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 9 15.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back