OP
Braves Fan

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its pretty cool how he does this ,, I am guessing on some of this :)

He uses a PVC material ,, its not PVC pipe that you see at the hardware store its like a PVC tube he may also use regular PVC pipe ,, you can't see thru the coating ,, hollow ,, on the ends where a branch will be at ,, is a type of PVC fitting , male ,, the branches have a female fitting ,, or the two end are different size tubing that will slide into each other ,, he appears to use both fittings and the two different size tubing ,,

So what he does ,, heats the tubing ,, makes the base structure ,, my scape has two base pieces ,, they use the two different size tubes ,, they slide into each other ,, to form one structure ,, let me say here ,, these pieces aren't going to move when you attache them together ,, while making the base structure ,, where ever he wants a branch ,, he puts a fitting ,, after the base is made ,, he makes each branch ,, inside the PVC fitting on the branch ends and where they will attache to the base ,, he has them numbered ,, so people like me can figure out where each branch goes lol

Now that he has the structures are made ,, I am guessing on this ,, he makes the material he will coat the structure with ,, applies it to the structure ,, lets it dry ,, when it comes to color ,, guessing here also lol what comes to mind is ,, that artificial live rock you can buy ,, it looks like that ,, so I am sure he is coloring this like the makers of that fake live rock people do their rock ,,, maybe lol

Durability ,, its not light ,, it has some weight to it ,, its not brittle ,, I am sure if you dropped it with some force you could chip it ,, but you still need to be careful with it ,,

Shipping ,, each individual piece is bubble wrapped ,, with lots of bubble wrap lol then he uses a clear tape to hold the bubble wrap in place ,, in order for the pieces to be broken in shipping ,, the shipper would have to be very irresponsible with his handling of the packages ,, like putting something really heavy on top of the boxes ,, Aqua Rocks spends a lot of time packaging this thing up ,, it took me 1 hour to just unwrap it ,, Aqua Rocks told me it took him 2 hours to package it for shipping ,, I believe it lol shipping cost me $175 ,, I know that seems like a lot ,, at least thats what I thought when he told me what the shipping price was ,, its not ,, once I opened the box I understood why it cost so much ,, but that is what it takes to get it to you unbroken ,,

I paid $875 for this thing plus the $175 shipping ,,, so ,,, do I think it was money well spent ,, oh yea ,, I really like this scape ,, is it for everyone ,, I am sure its not ,, but I like it ,, its a ""quality"" made piece and should really look nice in the new tank ,,, the new tan should be shipping in the next 3 or 4 weeks :)

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, disclaimer, I put 200 pounds of rock in a 75 gallon tank.

Your scape looks good and surprisingly natural. Reminds me of a tangle of mangrove roots.

Looking forward to seeing how it fleshes out with SPS corals.

You will still have room for an amazing amount of low light corals on the bottom.

Do you plan on bare bottom/star board so you can go intense with SPS flow?

Or a 1" sand bed for aesthetics and keeping the powerheads aimed up or set high (depending on brand)

Looking forward to seeing the tank. :)

OP
OP
Braves Fan

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gave Mircales Aquariums a call yesterday ,, just had to have a update :) They told me they started on the tank yesterday and that the tank would be in my hands in 4 to 6 weeks ,,, not the words I was hoping to hear ,, I can't get the tank fast enough ,, they told me from the start it would be mid May or so before they would have it finished.

I did go have a talk with a local moving company yesterday about picking up the tank from the shipping company ,, bring it to my house and set up on the stand. I have friends that would do this,, but they would have to take off work to do it ,, they have offered ,, its just a me thing ,, I would just rather not ask them to do this ,, shipping company is closed on Saturday :(

Should be getting the rest of my lights this week ,,, maybe today :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Braves Fan

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still waiting on the tank ,,, should be getting it this month ,, I am thinking in the next two or three weeks ,, but that's just a guess ,, I am going to give them a call this week ,, see if I can get them to send me a picture ,, didn't get my lights yet ,, I will have them tomorrow or Wednesday ,,

Not having the tank isn't holding me back on buying corals though :) I bought 7 or 8 zoas frags plus a really nice Rainbow Chalice from Cherry corals ,, a friend is holding them in his tank for me ,, I am not buying SPS corals though ,, but I want to lol plenty of time for that ,,, I have found ,, thru a sort of local Forum ,, a SPS pro that has a tank full of SPS corals that I want ,, I am going to send him a message about a frag pack ,,,

I have talked with a really good LFS that is about 1 1/2 hours away from the house ,, they run all of their fish thru a extensive QT system before they offer them for sale ,, my plan is to buy my fish from him ,, my plan is to drive over there and talk with him in person ,, see where that takes me ,,

I have some fish in my 37g cube ,, coral & fish holding tank ,, two Black Ice Clowns ,, Malinarius Wrasse ,, Marine Beta and a Midas Blenny ,, I want to have a couple of Tangs in the new tank ,, a Powder Blue Tang and a second Tang ,, a Purple Tang or a Achilles Tang ,, I am not a fish expert but those Achilles Tangs look pretty nice ,, the down side ,, I have several friends that have tried Achilles Tangs in their tanks ,, not one of them have been able to keep them alive long term :( might have to research that fish a bit more before I commit to trying to get one for my tank ,, see what the LFS owner has to say about them ,, if any of you have any knowledge on that fish ,, feel free to give me your thoughts ,,

The rest of the fish I want for the tank will be Wrasses ,, wanting Wrasses is the reason I am wanting to go have a face to face with the LFS owner ,, that ,, and it would be nice to just get out of town for the day :) ,, he sort of implied that he would have to think about wanting to run the Wrasses thru his QT system ,, not sure whats up with that ,, but I want to get his thoughts on that ,,

Anyway ,, that's all I have for now ,,

Last edited:

Rocks reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have a game plan for buying healthy QT'd wrasses! I'm enjoying your build so far, keep us posted. I know the "wait" is the hardest part.

OP
OP
Braves Fan

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was re reading what I have posted on the new tank ,, I have found an error :) I had posted the new tank will be 60x30x25 ,,, that is wrong ,, the new tank will be 60x30x20 ,, I had posted the tank would be 25" tall ,,,

OP
OP
Braves Fan

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question :) looking for ya'lls thoughts ,,

I will have two ,, one on either end of the tank ,, Mp40s providing the flow in my tank from the sides of the tank ,,, I am thinking of buying a Gyre pump to place on the center of the back glass panel of the tank ,, have it set to bring water up from the bottom of the tank ,, up and over the top of the scape towards the front panel ,,

Soo ,, do ya'll think this is a good idea ,, do you think it would cause a problem with the water flowing into the Reef Savvy external overflow box that will be centered on that back panel ,, also ,, if its a good idea :) ,, what size Gyre should I get ,, BRS sells 3 sizes ,, XF330 ,, XF350 and a XF280 ,, :)

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question :) looking for ya'lls thoughts ,,

I will have two ,, one on either end of the tank ,, Mp40s providing the flow in my tank from the sides of the tank ,,, I am thinking of buying a Gyre pump to place on the center of the back glass panel of the tank ,, have it set to bring water up from the bottom of the tank ,, up and over the top of the scape towards the front panel ,,

Soo ,, do ya'll think this is a good idea ,, do you think it would cause a problem with the water flowing into the Reef Savvy external overflow box that will be centered on that back panel ,, also ,, if its a good idea :) ,, what size Gyre should I get ,, BRS sells 3 sizes ,, XF330 ,, XF350 and a XF280 ,, :)
That sound like a nice idea. However the only issue I could potentially see is sort of as you suggest, not so much that it will interfere with the water flow although I guess it has the potential to make that slightly noisier, but I'd think it may blow the detritus that your wanting to collect away from the overflow leaving it in the display tank.

Since your decor is fairly "open plan" how about placing the gyre at the bottom. Blowing under the structure towards the front glass, maybe that way it would help blow water/detritus towards the surface skimmer and down into the sump. This my even have a nice upward draft effect on any LPS your have in there.

Just a thought of the top of my head over dinner[emoji189]

OP
OP
Braves Fan

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a picture of the tank from Mircales Aquariums ,, the tank will ship next week ,, the tank hasn’t been cleaned yet ,, the owner just ran back and got a quick pic for me ,,, thank you :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Braves Fan

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BCB3D0C2-8501-45B3-BCF8-7558AF41A765.jpeg

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3496CC5C-37ED-4976-86AF-699FAE6EDE4B.jpeg
Have plenty of RO/DI water made ,, I will add the salt when I know when the tank will be here ,, should be shipping today or tomorrow
Omg[emoji23]. I wish I had that much space to save water. That is a nice start. Will make the job a tad easier I'm. Sure. [emoji106]

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 6.3%
Back