Retracting Torch help

ph2505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi - i have had a Todd's Torch for 2 months now, I moved the torch to its current location probably 1 month ago now and has been doing well, the torch has been extending its polys and seems happy, happy, happy.

3 days ago i noticed that the torch was retracting and was not as open as it has been for the past 2months, have have two other torches and a handful of hammers and all are doing well only this torch is having an issue. not sure what the issue is i have noticed that there looks alot of spirorbid worms on the base and also what looks to be 2 tiny feather dusters that have made a home there. should i dip the torch or try and scrape off some of the worms? thanks for any help.

Parameters:
Phosphate 0.05
Alk: 8.8
Nitrate: 0.50
Cal: 455
Mg: 1400

image2 (3).jpeg image0 (3).jpeg

DarthChaos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No3...too low.

LPS corals, especially euphyllia - need food. Remember, those numbers are in PPM. You have less than 1 ppm...of nitrates - for a coral that like a bit of nutrients.

If your nutrients have been that low, consistently - its not surprising to see the coral retract and show signs of stress. You wouldn't be too happy if you were hungry, either.

Minimum, I'd be keeping my No3 is around 10. I've seen as high as 50. LPS, even SPS - need nutrients to thrive. When they don't have them....they get stressed.

Po4 is good - those tend to be harder on euphyllia, than No3.

OP
OP
P

ph2505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you very much for the responses, i dipped the torch, i dont have lugols dip but i do have the Seachem Iodine Coral Dip. while doing the dip i found the picture below not sure exactly what it was did not move but it was squishy it is was attached the stem of the coral about half way up. is this a flatworm?

i have been trying to increase my nitrates by feeding more which have been moving up over the past week hopefully this will continue to move up over the next couple of weeks

Attachments

• image1 (3).jpeg
    image1 (3).jpeg
    37.4 KB · Views: 41
  • image0 (4).jpeg
    image0 (4).jpeg
    22.6 KB · Views: 73

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you very much for the responses, i dipped the torch, i dont have lugols dip but i do have the Seachem Iodine Coral Dip. while doing the dip i found the picture below not sure exactly what it was did not move but it was squishy it is was attached the stem of the coral about half way up. is this a flatworm?

i have been trying to increase my nitrates by feeding more which have been moving up over the past week hopefully this will continue to move up over the next couple of weeks
Possibly! Hard to tell in that blue light.. if possible put it in a clear cup with a white counter or something under it and take some pics.. seachmens is fine.. any Iodine is good with lps and is safe and helps with bacterial infections, pests etc..

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some big nasty ones bothering one of my torches ugh… check for eggs on the stem also if you suspect it’s worms..

Attachments

• CC7AD561-6494-4699-860A-1038DC2DA26A.jpeg
    CC7AD561-6494-4699-860A-1038DC2DA26A.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 969AF19F-032F-4E4E-98FA-E7A8BEFACEF4.jpeg
    969AF19F-032F-4E4E-98FA-E7A8BEFACEF4.jpeg
    97.6 KB · Views: 57

waver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try an orange lens to get better pictures. even a entry orange script bottle will help filter out some of the blue light and make the picture much clearer

OP
OP
P

ph2505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unfortunately i have already thrown out the water... next time ill try and get better pictures.

the torch has recovered from the dip, and will keep on eye on it over the next couple of days...

is there anything else i should be trying to take a look at? thanks,

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Placement.. I have 7 different ones and some aren’t happy right next to each other.. my dragon soul is happy no matter where I put it so I had to keep moving around a couple like my Knicks till it was happy with the light and flow… I have mine in high flow and they love whipping around.. low flow they didn’t like to open fully.

Back