Return flow for 40B frag tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter ronnie
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Joined
Aug 10, 2010
Messages
2,844
Reaction score
688
Location
Northwest Arkansas
What state or country do you live in
Arkansas
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've got an Eheim 1250 that would put out around 185gph.

Would this be too slow for my 40B frag setup? I will have some powerheads in the tank, so I'm not looking to make up the flow with the return.

Sump will be divided into two sections with a bubble trap in the middle. One side will house an ASM G2 w/Sedra 5000 (basically a G2X) and the other side will house the return and heater.

So - is that too slow or just fine? My thought is that with the over sized skimmer, the slower flow will give the water plenty of contact time with the skimmer.
 
That is how I feel too - I just don't want to buy another pump right now. I may go with it for now and then switch over in a few months. I'll just keep an eye out for a 1260.

Tks condor.
 
i had a OR 900gph pump on my 40b frag tank and i thought it was to little flow. so then i added a mag 12. i had a mp40 on it as well but it made too much of a dust storm for my liking. i should have used 2 mp10's.
remember that the pump will loose flow due to the plumbing and how far it has to pump. if you only use a mag 5 you'll see less than 300gph in the tank. that will be dribbling out 3/4 return lines
 
I'm not looking to fulfill the entire tanks flow from the return. Mostly just want to get the water down there to the skimmer.

My concern is that it is too little flow, but I think that concern is unfounded for now.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 11 6.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 28 15.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 59 33.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new