Return from the dead....

Blooming123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank pics before starting any work. I’m embarrassed to show these....
A0752A46-C6C3-42D1-8B24-D694D710B43E.jpeg
7E68140C-8E94-4C89-A91E-BDEB58A7058C.jpeg

E4161CD8-2CDE-416A-BE90-7C47D1C7B872.jpeg

Hubby and I started a 75 gallon fowlr saltwater tank back in 2004. It soon grew into a 120 gallon with 55 gallon sump. We progressed slowly from live rock and fish to snails and crabs, then added a few softies and LPS. Then in 2011 we had twin boys. Our time and funding for the tank decreased. We kept up water changes, but only monthly. Lighting was changed only when bulbs burnt out, ro/di went way too long between filter changes, and no fish or coral was added for several years. The few fish we had slowly passed on with age. About 2 years ago hubby lost his job for almost a year. Funding dried up completely. Then around that time our last and oldest fish, a coral beauty from 2005, decided to make a break for it. Sadly we found it dried to the floor after a long weekend away. The tank then sat as is until about a month ago. Only task completed regularly was topping it off as we soon ran out of salt mix and it was food for us or salt for the tank. The lack of life in the tank left us with little motivation to change things. The lighting was down to 1 actinic bulb and a half functioning metal halide. Not the way to keep a tank running. Now thankfully hubby has a great job and after a year of paying off our debts, we have funds to restart the tank.

The “progress,” hard to tell, but it has improved.
7BFD9D22-19A1-4765-9BA5-7D2BAC629E69.jpeg

So far, I have done 3 large water changes of around 25-30 gallons each separated by 1-2 days plus weekly 10-15 gallon water changes. I added a few snails and hermit crabs to get a start on the algae. We added new lighting with 4 LED 165w lightimetunnel fixtures, new RO/DI, and a new reef octopus 150 EXT skimmer that will get installed next week. Hair algae is starting to brown and is covered with cyano. Been picking away at it also and it seems to be decreasing. Was hoping the clean up crew would be enough. Wishful thinking I know . I will have to pull rocks out of the tank and start scrubbing. I have been watching my phos and nitrates thinking they would start to spike as the hair algae dies off, but I’m pretty sure the cyano that’s taken over my sump and is growing on the hair algae is taking up the nutrients as my phos was zero and nitrates were between 0 and 5 ppm, barely any color change. Used brand new salifert test kits so I believe they are correct. Salinity 1.024-1.025. New ATO should help keep this more stable. As a side project, we also restated the 75 gallon with saltwater. It’s 2 weeks into cycling. Will use it as QT/hospital and eventually Fowlr tank.

Will post again once clean up is more complete. Also, will need to figure out how to set the lights for photos. Hubby set them up as I’m not tech savvy.
RB

99351BC2-2D44-4705-9842-CEF8B3E72D88.jpeg

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to follow while you bring this one back. It will take a little elbow grease to get there but in the end I think you will be happier than ever with it. Why wait to post until after cleanup is complete? Let's see the progression pics as it comes back to life so we can share the journey with you. :)

OP
OP
Blooming123

Blooming123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to follow while you bring this one back. It will take a little elbow grease to get there but in the end I think you will be happier than ever with it. Why wait to post until after cleanup is complete? Let's see the progression pics as it comes back to life so we can share the journey with you. :)
Thanks!! Cleanup is referring to algae removal. Goal for this week is to scrub the rock. We’ll see how far I get....

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck! We have two kids (9-11) and the reef tank didn’t last through the first year lol. It got broken down in a cross country move and 10 years went by before I felt I had the time again.

You can definitely do a few quick things to help. Two jump right out at me from your pictures:

Your rockwork is really tightly fitted together. When you pull them to scrub, I would suggest possibly two taller islands with more spacing to allow water flow.

Along the same lines, I don’t see anything moving water in the pics beside the return nozzle. Adding a couple of wavemakers or powerheads will probably help as well. More flow/less dead spots create a less desireable habitat for the algea and cyano.

OP
OP
Blooming123

Blooming123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck! We have two kids (9-11) and the reef tank didn’t last through the first year lol. It got broken down in a cross country move and 10 years went by before I felt I had the time again.

You can definitely do a few quick things to help. Two jump right out at me from your pictures:

Your rockwork is really tightly fitted together. When you pull them to scrub, I would suggest possibly two taller islands with more spacing to allow water flow.

Along the same lines, I don’t see anything moving water in the pics beside the return nozzle. Adding a couple of wavemakers or powerheads will probably help as well. More flow/less dead spots create a less desireable habitat for the algea and cyano.
Thanks! I need to get the powerheads back into the tank and on the wave maker timer. Pulled one out that wasn’t working and took the other out to mix saltwater in the garbage can. Rescape tank, another goal... I’ve be purusing the site and enjoying the tanks, didn’t really think about rock placement when we put the take together years ago. All the rocks are loose so it shouldn’t be difficult to move them.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back and good luck with the re-vamp!

It will be nice to have that very established rock... I’m glad you aren’t breaking it down completely. Do you have any chaeto or macro algae in the sump to help out-compete it? Are there any corals in the display currently?

OP
OP
Blooming123

Blooming123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 1 of hair algae removal...
This stuff is awful!! It is rooted into the rock. I tried a toothbrush, I tried pulling, I tried a vegetable scrubber... NOTHING worked. Then, I got out the razor blade and started scraping. 4 hours down and probably twice as many to go. But, some progress.
EB304828-EAAA-4D30-B557-34AA9A7F5C3A.jpeg

A stack of much much cleaner rock!! It’s not perfect but hopefully I got enough for the cuc to keep it under control.

On a side note: Why do the scarlet reef crabs seem to need to be king of the mountain?? Maybe pecking order? Maybe the best algae is up there?? Probably anyone’s guess....

Rosie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along on this one!

I recently had a little boy and a few months after giving birth I contemplated taking the tank down due to horrendous GHA!

Then one day my little boy was having his afternoon nap and I thought "todays the day!" And I just ripped all my rocks out and scrubbed them with a toothbrush! It made such a difference! I just wish I did it sooner.

I'm still battling GHA but it's on a much smaller scale now. I'm at that stage where I'm hoping a refreshed CUC will help me win the war on it.

Good Luck!!

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a side note: Why do the scarlet reef crabs seem to need to be king of the mountain?? Maybe pecking order? Maybe the best algae is up there?? Probably anyone’s guess....
My guess would be that area gets the strongest light and new shoots of GHA up there, that you may not see, are easier for them to pick at. Mine tended to ignore the GHA as it got long.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck! How long are you running your lights for by the way? If your doing over 14 hours a day that can cause GHA to grow like crazy. Just something I learned on here :) ,good job with your razor scraping, it looks great!

OP
OP
Blooming123

Blooming123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck! How long are you running your lights for by the way? If your doing over 14 hours a day that can cause GHA to grow like crazy. Just something I learned on here :) ,good job with your razor scraping, it looks great!
The hair algae grew in and took over during the months of no tank care. It spent many months with inadequate lighting. It has actually improved with more light. I know, hard to believe. It has been with water changes and correct light spectrum that the corraline algae is having a chance to start again. I believe the lights run about 14 hours total. They follow a program that starts with just a couple blue LED and ramps up to all the lights and has 2 different intensities with all lights on. Full intensity lasts about 10 hours, 1 hour on each end with lower intensity and an hour on each end of blue only. I also started the light on the sump to grow the algae there instead of DT. After moving rock with cleaning, I think more sand cleaning is needed as the detritus was pretty bad underneath and in the rock. I rinsed the rocks after scrubbing with tank water and it was pretty gross! So, cleaning and water changes and new protein skimmer will hopefully get the tank back on track. I’ll keep you all posted.

OP
OP
Blooming123

Blooming123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
023ADDFC-5B78-4B88-AA13-2D6B0E4D133B.jpeg
530AEDD4-8E28-408C-9B2E-1F7CA3FAC9F6.jpeg
C0DCC725-BA65-4EB4-AA9F-D2DD92AFD9B9.jpeg
Finally got the scrubbing finished and the rock work in place. It’s not perfectly clean but definitely 100 times better. Not sure if I’ll move it around again or leave it. I think I need to sleep on it at this point. Hermit crabs like it, they are taking turns climbing to the tops.
Got the protein skimmer hooked up, reef octopus 150 ext, definitely overkill, but I always like one size bigger than I actually need. Allows for upgrade to a larger tank without having to replace all the equipment. Always dreaming of a larger tank...
Got the 75 gallon filled with some dry rock. Hubby bought and put the rock together in like 5 minutes. I spent hours moving rocks around. And, I think I like his better. ;)
0704C598-B036-4339-B5A1-B48B7B2E7DCA.jpeg

Next, fish. Gonna start with a couple clowns. Something about them that I just love. Always characters.

Gonebad395

Anemone hound
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow great job you got this all the way now! Super glad you guys are in a spot to bring this tank back. In 2011 we had a little girl and in 2015 we had girl boy twins. In those few years I let a few tanks go. And downsized a lot a 120 to 75 then a 29 gallon biocube I still currently own and operate lol. Good luck will be following along.

HunterW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not be embarrassed, this helps everyone learn, I know I do. A seasoned reefer I know talked about "perfect" tanks. There are none, right...TFS.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 65 31.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 54 26.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back