Return gph and overflow

Jrapa86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-My Return Pump is a Sicce Syncra (don't know which version).
- PVC: Sch 40 - 3/4"
- # Elbows: 9
- # Tee's: 2
- 1 Check Valve
- Height: 3ft
- Length: 7.5ft (~91")
- Estimated Head Pressure: Unsure
- Current Reading on Flow Meter (at max): 134 gph return. Im pretty sure that is bad.

I have a COR 2000gph return pump arriving today. My aim is 5-10 passes thru the sump. My concern is the current pump is hard-plumbed with 3/4, and my overflow is a single outlet hard plumbed to 3/4 as well. To get behind the tank to install larger pipe will be incredibly difficult, near impossible.

Am I going to overload my overflow with the new pump?

Can I get away with using existing 3/4”?

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-My Return Pump is a Sicce Syncra (don't know which version).
- PVC: Sch 40 - 3/4"
- # Elbows: 9
- # Tee's: 2
- 1 Check Valve
- Height: 3ft
- Length: 7.5ft (~91")
- Estimated Head Pressure: Unsure
- Current Reading on Flow Meter (at max): 134 gph return. Im pretty sure that is bad.

I have a COR 2000gph return pump arriving today. My aim is 5-10 passes thru the sump. My concern is the current pump is hard-plumbed with 3/4, and my overflow is a single outlet hard plumbed to 3/4 as well. To get behind the tank to install larger pipe will be incredibly difficult, near impossible.

Am I going to overload my overflow with the new pump?

Can I get away with using existing 3/4”?

Please be cautious with a single overflow, without emergency over flow. What will stop tank overflow if your 1 single 3/4" drain gets clogged. You really need to rethink this, as its just a matter of when, not if your tank overflows.
Lets address this main issue first before we start trying to slam even more water down a single drain.
Example, I have 4 drains, an 6 electronic floats that will turn power off to the return pumps if tank level goes too high. At the same time, my wife and I will get a text and an email letting us know tank overflow emergency.
This ensures dry carpet. One single 3/4" drain ensures wet floors and loss of animals.

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To get behind the tank to install larger pipe will be incredibly difficult, near impossible.
There is always a way. If I can do it on my tank, you certainly can do it on yours.

Use a 2'' PVC to serve as a wrench. This is worse case scenario. If interested, I could certainly walk you through other methods of how to make it work.

OP
OP
Jrapa86

Jrapa86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the system and why 5-10x flow?

Just use a ball valve to control flow and you should be fine. It will be needed to control your overflow anyway.
I’ve been doing reading and overall I saw the recommendations being anywhere from 5-10x passes. Should it be something else? I have a total of 83 gal (including the sump). No livestock yet. Looking to mix fish with LPS and if possible SPS, but not hard set on anything.

OP
OP
Jrapa86

Jrapa86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please be cautious with a single overflow, without emergency over flow. What will stop tank overflow if your 1 single 3/4" drain gets clogged. You really need to rethink this, as its just a matter of when, not if your tank overflows.
Lets address this main issue first before we start trying to slam even more water down a single drain.
Example, I have 4 drains, an 6 electronic floats that will turn power off to the return pumps if tank level goes too high. At the same time, my wife and I will get a text and an email letting us know tank overflow emergency.
This ensures dry carpet. One single 3/4" drain ensures wet floors and loss of animals.
This is a really good recommendation that I am going to take to heart. My greatest challenge will be how to add an additional overflow.

AF620343-50FC-42CD-ADAB-DF7D416C2946.jpeg
BFC040AA-293C-44F1-BDAD-3D6CC1F270B1.jpeg
66CB1DAB-2BA6-4B2B-AB3E-E38F02DED030.jpeg
3EF84CD2-2451-4654-B698-50CB78615371.jpeg
EDAA61C0-14F1-4280-947F-58EBC0B59B3B.jpeg

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 83gal total including the sump. I am still learning, and from what I’ve read, 5-10x passes through the sump per hour was recommended. So that would be 415-830gph.
You will be hard pressed to achieve even the lower end of this range with 3/4" return pipe and I definitely would not want to be pushing that much flow through a single 3/4" overflow. I think you are seeing that with your 134 gph measurement.

I.AM.MR.MIKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3/4 inch will flow approx. 660 GPH at no head. EDIT: I found somewhere else that says a 3/4 inch pipe can flow 1,380 GPH... This is at average water pressure to a house.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back