Return hole placement

mpatient

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the (very long, drawn out) process of upgrading my BC 32g. I just scored a pristine 110 gallon Oceanic tank and stand for the low, low price of FREE. This thing is a beast. I had forgotten how well made these were.
I am going the KISS route (keep it simple, stupid) on this as I plan to only have softies and some LPS.
I will need to drill the tank to fit a Synergy Shadow overflow box; however, I will be plumbing it Bean Animal. I would like to drill a hole for the return, but I am unsure of the placement and size. There will be plenty of flow from wave makers, so I feel line only one return is necessary. I am not a fan of plumbing over the rim.

Anyone have experience on the best size and placement?

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Return size is based on flow rate. Depending how much flow you want get from the return, at low pressure it's about ~600gph for 3/4 pipe, and ~1000gph for 1". A beefier, or in-line pump would increase the pressure in the line, and you might get up to 1400gph in 3/4 pipe, but I don't think return pumps are designed to create pressure. It's certainly not something all of us amateur plumbers should be messing around with.

Placement should be as far from the overflow as you can without messing up the aesthetics, and if I recall when I drilled my 75, the glass guy told me the distance from the edge of the glass pane should be 1.5 times the diameter of the hole.

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Straight off their website... it takes 2 holes. For returns, as mentioned, it can vary based on the flow and locations you want them. I run two 1" bulkheads, at each top back corner. I run about 850gph.

upload_2019-5-11_23-51-19.png

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 27 18.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 99 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back