Return hole size.

  • Thread starter Thread starter scooter24
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

scooter24

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 1, 2013
Messages
212
Reaction score
98
Location
Durand Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at drilling the back of my tank for my return. Just curious what size is standard or what people use when drilling the glass. Thanks!
 
It's a 50 breeder. It has a corner overflow with a 1 3/4 drain and a 1 1/2 return. But I Wana do the herby style overflow and use the 1 1/2 for full syphon and the 1 3/4 for the backup. Then that means I'd have tk drill the back glass as long as it is not temporal (wich I don't think it is).
 
If the normal drain is 1.5 then the return should be 1, most is 1.25. Just my opinion ; -)


I thought only the bottom panel of the tanks would be done with tempered glass. Anyway there is an easy way to check right?
 
O, didn't know it could be drilled at tempered. But still don't think the back glass is tempered though I'll test it to double check though.
 
The new DC pumps have large intake and discharge so you might consider a 1.5". They provide so much flow you might not even need power heads.
 
I remember there was a discussion on rc about this tempered glass. Just because the panel has a hole, it does not mean the glass is not tempered. Also, there was a discussion about how to drill tempered glass....
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 22.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 30.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new