Return hose won’t fit

ShaneAugust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I’ve been having trouble with my return line hose that won’t connect securely to my Sicce return pump. I have the Waterbox Frag 165.6 and it’s been up and running for about 5 months now. The problem is that the return hose that came with the tank is an extremely rigid white silicon tubing that will not loosen or become flexible. When I first plumbed the tank I secured it to the pvc plumbing but it is incredibly lose on my Sicce pump nozzle. The hose is basically resting on the nozzle not tight or secure at all. When I put the plumbing together it was pumping water to the tank so I stupidly expected it to be good enough. Months later I realize how stupid that was because it recently detached and water shot out from the sump onto my basement floor. Luckily I caught it in time and fixed it. My problem is that I have no idea how to fix this, I’m worried if I fiddle with it I won’t be able to get it back on which could lead to a disaster. I can barely move the hose it’s so stiff and hard to work with. It’s so stiff it practically pushes my Sicce silent 4.0 out of the water. Is there something I can do to make the hose attach to the Sicce pump correctly? I can post pictures. It’s a complicated issue that I don’t know who to go to about this. Waterbox won’t help either so I’m worried the hose will detach again at night when I’m sleeping and destroy my Acros because the loss of heat from the sump and ruin my floor. Thanks for any help guys.

OP
OP
S

ShaneAugust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you be able to secure the hosing onto the pump nozzle with a hose clamp?
I tried. There’s actually three on there with zero help. Granted, they’re the plastic ones that came with it but still, nothing.

Attachments

• 985329D9-019E-416E-AB7A-3F713A5E25E3.jpeg
    985329D9-019E-416E-AB7A-3F713A5E25E3.jpeg
    187.9 KB · Views: 63

JPM San Diego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least as a short term fix you could use zip ties. Get long ones that can reach all the way round the pump itself.
Zip a few shorter ones around the hose above the clamps. Don't tighten them right way. Fish the long ones round the pump and though the short ones. Use several. Once the long ones are ready to zip and the short one are read to zip, begin tightening them down. The short one should bite in to the hose and allow the ones circling the pump pull the hose down onto the pump.
MacGyver

OP
OP
S

ShaneAugust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least as a short term fix you could use zip ties. Get long ones that can reach all the way round the pump itself.
Zip a few shorter ones around the hose above the clamps. Don't tighten them right way. Fish the long ones round the pump and though the short ones. Use several. Once the long ones are ready to zip and the short one are read to zip, begin tightening them down. The short one should bite in to the hose and allow the ones circling the pump pull the hose down onto the pump.
MacGyver
That’s a great tip, I will try that tomorrow. Thank you for the help

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as a short term fix you could use a metal tubing clamp ( it wont rust out in a week) so you can order new tubing and the proper plastic clamp and fix it for the long term.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get some silicon tubing . its amazing and so easy to work with . no brainer will fix it.
I agree with this. Flexible silicone tubing from the pump that's tied into rigid tubing or PVC if you need a long straight run. Be sure to get the right size - you can use a heat gun (or a hair dryer, or almost boiling water) to soften the end to make it easy to work over the hose barb. Works great and silicone carries less vibration so your return line will be a lot quieter :)

Hypan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think those sicce pump threads are standard 3/4” pipe thread. You can likely find a new barb for the output of the pump that’s a little larger in diameter so it will be tighter.

but I do recommend new silicone tubing, it’s a game changer.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 9.7%
Back