Return Line Advise

jc75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I need to drill return lines in a new tank and locked in indecision. It is a 75 gallon tank with prodigy L overflow installed and most likely a cor-20 return pump. The pump can run at 1 1/4”. Even though the loc line is only 3/4” should I run 1 1/4” pipe and drill for a 1 1/4” bulkhead? Use 3/4” bulkhead and reduce before the bulkhead? Or just stick to 3/4” for everything. I can’t decide what size hole to drill or size plumbing to run. Looking to gain wisdom from others experience to make the right decision.
Also another question I have is should I drill for another bulkhead on the other side of the aquarium and plug it to have for future options in case I need it?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever size exits the return pump, id stick with that.
Example, my vectra has a .75" discharge oriface.
I stuck with 3/4 the whole way.

Id also vote no for the extra hole.
Plan what you want first, then execute the plan.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using bullheads in your sump? 1 1/4 bullheads (abs) are all but non-existent and while you can get cpvc in that size they are expensive. For only a 75 gallon using 1" will get you plenty of turnover for what you need imo. You can even drill the tank for 1" and get a reducer for the loc line at that point. Keeps it simple, at your side tank anything larger is overkill.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever size exits the return pump, id stick with that.
Example, my vectra has a .75" discharge oriface.
I stuck with 3/4 the whole way.

Id also vote no for the extra hole.
Plan what you want first, then execute the plan.
That may not be the case. Its all about water volume in pipes, I'd put 8" and reduce at the very last point to 3/4 if you could..(obviously you can't do 8" but you get it)

CKinLA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a 120 and the bulkheads were only 3/4; I wish they were bigger but I don’t think that it is necessary with two.

I ran 1-1/4” plumbing from the pump to the bulkhead then 3/4“ from the bulkhead into the tank to fit lockline and unions in the overflow. I run two return pumps for redundancy and they are dialed way back. I can run one full speed and it pumps more than my normal flow through both lines, which is why I don’t think larger than 3/4” bulkhead is necessary.

I went with 1-1/4“ under the stand to reduce friction loss. Again with two pumps and how far I have them dialed back, I could have gotten away with smaller plumbing. With one pump moving all of the water, 3/4” may have been too small (don’t know for sure). Originally, I was planning on external pumps with more 90s in the line, which was another reason I went with 1-1/4”, but I couldn’t fit them the way I wanted.

Biggest downside with 1-1/4“ is the cost of fittings (primarily if going with sch 80) and the size of fittings.

I‘d say go with bigger plumbing and reduce the bulkhead to 3/4” or 1” if you don’t want to go 1-1/4”. A 1-1/4” bulkhead is pretty large; my returns are only 1” (with 1.5” plumbing). Also if you use tubing instead if hard plumbing that’ll save you some friction loss too.

I’d drill two holes unless there is a downside or you know you’ll never use it. Just gives you more options in the future. Easy to drill now but not so much later.

Plumbing for a 120 as I was setting t up.
EDBDD025-40A1-4A36-9326-020F62B9C4E7.jpeg

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump,

what do people use for in tank return lines? I have 4 slip bulkheads, what appealing item can I put in these? I can only think of pvc which wouldn’t look great, the loc line only has threaded connections that I can find, nothing slip. Help?

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump,

what do people use for in tank return lines? I have 4 slip bulkheads, what appealing item can I put in these? I can only think of pvc which wouldn’t look great, the loc line only has threaded connections that I can find, nothing slip. Help?
There's a threaded adapter that could get you to use lock line if that's what you want.

I dont exactly like the look of lock line but that's what I use for adjustability, I've used pvc like your saying before, but it never really worked good for me.

I would use a glue in adapter bushing with threads inside so you can use lock line.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 119 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back