Return line nozzle

JakeAndAmanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to use a 1 1/12” id return line with a maxspect jump 12k pump. What should I use for the return nozzle? Will have apx 11’ head pressure so that would give me 700-1000 gph. The tank is a 120 and will have dual 1” overflow lines.

Reverend Turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would split to have the shortest runs of ¾" possible. Or you can run it all the way to ¾" bulk heads and reduce there. I've done the latter in the past.

OP
OP
JakeAndAmanda

JakeAndAmanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plan was to use the one of the two original bulkheads for a return and a overflow. The sump is going in the basement so I need a bigger return with larger return line. I got the tank used and the previous owner drilled the tank himself @ 1.5” for 1” id pvc. The maxspect jump 12k calls for 1.5” id for max flow. It should be about 10’ from pump to outflow. I added a foot to head pressure to account for what I hope to be minimal pipe direction changes. So my options are to get another overflow box on the other side of the tank to hide the return line and drill a larger hole or to come around the outside of the tank and up over the back. There isn’t enough room for the existing overflow to house another hole of that size, I thought about drilling the holes larger but the holes are too close together for the larger bulkheads. Plus having the dual drains I can customize flow to the sump and get away from the durso and switch to herbie. I am leaning to not drilling and going around the outside and over the top. So I run a 1 1/2” pipe up, then what? I can’t find any 1 1/2” to 3/4 splitters or even 1 1/2 pipe adaptors for the locline. Maybe I am just overthinking the importance of keeping the diameter as wide as possible to avoid restriction at the outflow point because flow rate will already be so diminished by head pressure anyway? Maybe explain it to me like I’m a 5 year old?
1612873663919.gif

Reverend Turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.5" from pump. At aquarium use a 1.5" T to split for the returns. Wherever you decide to end them for loc-line, use reducing bushings to take it down to ¾" for the loc-line.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back