Return line plumbing

Surfpulse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello fellow reefer

So I decide to pull the plug and buy an ecotech L2 and change my plumbing around.
So I belive the outlet on an L2 is 1.5". My current set up is 3/4". So I was thinking of keeping the 3/4" or stepping it all up to 1". Wondering what some of opintion is on this? My tank is 180 gallons and my sump is eshoops r-300.. I wish I had a different sump... also because I did not put union in and my return pump in the wrong area, figure it be a good time to change it all. Also including a media outlet, to save a vitual power port.

Thank you

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t want to restrict the return close to the pump side. I’d got 1.5” and then can narrow it down to 1” once you get close to the actual returns.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3/4" on an L2 is way too small. You will likely only get about 300-400 gph from 3/4". Going to 1" will probably get you something like 600-800 gph, but you will be running the pump near full speed. An L2 is way oversized for your plumbing, even with 1". Step up to 1-1/2" or two 1" returns and and an L2 makes sense, but I tend to doubt your sump can handle 1200-1500 gph, even if you want that much flow.

OP
OP
Surfpulse

Surfpulse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
3/4" on an L2 is way too small. You will likely only get about 300-400 gph from 3/4". Going to 1" will probably get you something like 600-800 gph, but you will be running the pump near full speed. An L2 is way oversized for your plumbing, even with 1". Step up to 1-1/2" or two 1" returns and and an L2 makes sense, but I tend to doubt your sump can handle 1200-1500 gph, even if you want that much flow.
Right on.. I was kinda thinking the same thing honestly. They say the sump rated for 2000 gph, I don't see that personally. I currently have, as explained another pump that I reduced it down too 3/4. I was really considering the 1" method. I was still learning when I set this tank up a few years ago. I would change my sump but means draining the tank and emptying it out. Only way to get a sump in there through the back unfortunately.. thank you for your advice

OP
OP
Surfpulse

Surfpulse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I have dug a little deeper into my plumbing- I really do not wanna have to do it again.. My thought is to have 3 media ports for stuff down the road. Adding those inline with the return this size would be fine right? Or should I start looking at running an extra pump and run extra pvc for its own manifold

Back