Return & Overflow Sizes

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,

I am confirming sizes of PVC plumbing for my deep blue 34 gallon frag tank. The overflow that came with the tank was 1 1/2 inches as seen in the picture below and the return is 1 inch.

I want to replace the plumbing for a fresh start with the tank to ensure nothing becomes an issue. Plus I don't really want to use flex hose so it's getting hard plumbed.

My question is can I do both the overflow and return at 1 inch? Are there any downfalls to this? The overflow gets reduced to what appears to be 1 inch going into the bulkhead. I read that the durso should be larger and than reduced as it pulls a lot of water. Is that totally necessary?

Furthermore do people typically do slip x threaded bulkheads?
IMG_20190611_195916.jpg

IMG_20190611_195926.jpg

Last edited:

Irishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can do both at 1”. The reason some overflows are 1 1/2 is because of the greater amount of water that can go down the pipe. I have a 180 and have both return and over flow at 1”.

Depending on the person for the type of bulk head. I have a mix going on. IF you use slip x thread there is less chance of leaks than a thread x thread bulk head.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can do both at 1”. The reason some overflows are 1 1/2 is because of the greater amount of water that can go down the pipe. I have a 180 and have both return and over flow at 1”.

Depending on the person for the type of bulk head. I have a mix going on. IF you use slip x thread there is less chance of leaks than a thread x thread bulk head.

Looking at the holes in the glass, do you think I could get away with two 1 inch bulkheads or the increase in the larger cut will require me to get a 1 1/2 inch bulkhead?

I was planning on hard plumbing both sides and leaving a union on the bottom where the pipes come out so I could in theory disconnect it but now I am thinking it might just be easier to have threads on the bottom.

Irishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those look like 1” bulk head holes. Most tanks are drilled with that size and people just increase the diameter of the PVC coming out of it I believe.

In my experience I would consider a slip x thread bulk head with 1” male adapter (threaded male x slip female) and have the Union right after that. That way if you have to redo anything it’ll be a lot easier disassemble. Say you over tighten a bulk head and it cracks, it’s cheaper/easier to replace the drain portion in the overflow than the plumbing underneath.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this case because you have a durso drain I would NOT recommend reducing the bulkhead or plumbing size. Dursos are setup to run a certain way and when you start messing with them you are asking for trouble. If you were to change the drain type and run the return over the back or drill it for a different return then you could definitely reduce the plumbing size but not the bulkhead sizes themselves as going smaller means the smaller bulkhead might not seal the hole properly.

As for bulkheads it really depends on the person. I run thread x thread on everything and if they are installed properly they will not leak. In an overflow I use thread on the outside and slip on the inside, this let's me remove the overflow pipes relatively easily for cleaning when needed.

Last edited:

Irishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this case because you have a durso drain I would NOT recommend reducing the bulkhead size. Dursos are setup to run a certain way and when you start messing with them you are asking for trouble. If you were to change the drain type and run the return over the back or drill it for a different return then you could definitely reduce the plumbing size but not the bulkhead sizes themselves as going smaller means the smaller bulkhead might not seal the hole properly.

That set up he was given already looks like the duriso was reduced to 1” to fit the bulk head. So wouldn’t he be able just to make a new duriso straight with 1” to fit the bulk head?

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That set up he was given already looks like the duriso was reduced to 1” to fit the bulk head. So wouldn’t he be able just to make a new duriso straight with 1” to fit the bulk head?

Typically Dursos are setup exactly as pictured and making a straight type will lead to flow tuning and noise issues. I'll edit the way I worded my first post :)

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically Dursos are setup exactly as pictured and making a straight type will lead to flow tuning and noise issues. I'll edit the way I worded my first post :)
I don't plan on using what's shown in the picture I plan on re creating a durso using inch PVC instead of making that exact configuration

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it's a 1 inch and a 3/4 inch bulkhead from this chart.

Which also shows I can simply use two 1 inch bulkeahds and be done

Screenshot_20190611-215714.png

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't plan on using what's shown in the picture I plan on re creating a durso using inch PVC instead of making that exact configuration

I realize that was your plan and I was advising you against it. While it "can" be done, the setup provided will give you the quietest and easiest tuning setup there is.

And to add to the chart. You will not find a 1" bulkhead that will fit a hole drilled for a 3/4" bulkhead....

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize that was your plan and I was advising you against it. While it "can" be done, the setup provided will give you the quietest and easiest tuning setup there is.
I don't get why though ? I feel like I see most bigger tanks use 1 inch plumbing no problems

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't get why though ? I feel like I see most bigger tanks use 1 inch plumbing no problems

Most bigger tanks do not use a durso setup. Bean animal and Herbie style drains are the reign in these setups. And you can absolutely use 1" straight pipe for those styles although most are usually 1.5" strictly for flow.

Like I said, it can be done, just not advisable and I can almost guarantee you'll be starting another thread on how to make it quieter or how to tune it better.

Even Further

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that was me, I would set up the drain using the Herbie method. The larger hole for the trickle emergency, the smaller for the tuned siphon. Then, pipe an over the top return.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that was me, I would set up the drain using the Herbie method. The larger hole for the trickle emergency, the smaller for the tuned siphon. Then, pipe an over the top return.
I've been considering that but I've heard the herbie is hard to maintain as you always need to be adjusting water level etc

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most bigger tanks do not use a durso setup. Bean animal and Herbie style drains are the reign in these setups. And you can absolutely use 1" straight pipe for those styles although most are usually 1.5" strictly for flow.

Like I said, it can be done, just not advisable and I can almost guarantee you'll be starting another thread on how to make it quieter or how to tune it better.

I don't even think a true 1.5 schedule 40 durso would fit in there that durso was like schedule 2 piping - crumbled under my hand. The smaller pipe def schedule 40 though

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been considering that but I've heard the herbie is hard to maintain as you always need to be adjusting water level etc

Certainly not the case. I'm not entirely sure where you had found that info but once set the Herbie needs 0 adjusting unless you want to change the flow for your own reasons.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly not the case. I'm not entirely sure where you had found that info but once set the Herbie needs 0 adjusting unless you want to change the flow for your own reasons.
I thought that with the lower siphon it's constantly pulling different amounts of water causing the level to naturally rise and fall causing non stable levels

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't even think a true 1.5 schedule 40 durso would fit in there that durso was like schedule 2 piping - crumbled under my hand. The smaller pipe def schedule 40 though

Well that's a pain. You could always go 1 1/4" instead? Personally I would as suggested above turn it into a durso and being the way I am, drill a new return. But that is just me.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 53 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%
Back