Return & Overflow Sizes

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am watching this because I am in the process of plumbing a tank as well. From my understanding is a Herbie style two holes, one to let water drain and the other for air to reduce noise from suction?

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am watching this because I am in the process of plumbing a tank as well. From my understanding is a Herbie style two holes, one to let water drain and the other for air to reduce noise from suction?
It's one for full siphon and one for emergencies if the full siphon is broken.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to give it a good look today. What bulkheads do you use ? Slip on tank size threaded on sump side ?
I have a HOB overflow (eshopps pf-1000) which has two 1-inch drains, the bulkheads are 1" threaded on both sides (tank/sump) which goes to a pvc "male to male" "coupling" which feeds into a threaded 1" gate valve (off amazon, King's brand I believe).

Irishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

One drain is for the full siphon and the other drain is an emergency drain, just in case the full siphon drain gets clogged your tank will still run.

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a single hole in an overflow box like this not a good option then? Or will it still work just fine

Screenshot_20190612-141657_Google.jpg

Irishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sold - I am making my list of parts now. That strainer head is a good idea to have huh?

Most definitely, even on emergency and siphon line, it helps keep fish, snails and other things from getting in the line and down to the gate valve to clog it. I wouldn’t glue them on though, just so you can replace them easily if they get real nasty and so it’s easier to clean.

This is a great read on understanding the Herbie method.

Are you getting your PVC from Lowe’s or Home Depot?

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most definitely, even on emergency and siphon line, it helps keep fish, snails and other things from getting in the line and down to the gate valve to clog it. I wouldn’t glue them on though, just so you can replace them easily if they get real nasty and so it’s easier to clean.

This is a great read on understanding the Herbie method.

Are you getting your PVC from Lowe’s or Home Depot?
Home Depot as it's more convenient - once it's all plumbed I'll run vinegar for a couple days

Irishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Home Depot as it's more convenient - once it's all plumbed I'll run vinegar for a couple days

My suggestion to you when plumbing your return line over the back is to use street 90’s. It’ll tighten up the space where you go over the tank, and you won’t have to use something to keep the plumbing tight to the tank like I did I’m my build.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My suggestion to you when plumbing your return line over the back is to use street 90’s. It’ll tighten up the space where you go over the tank, and you won’t have to use something to keep the plumbing tight to the tank like I did I’m my build.
90's reduce head space but are unavoidable at that location - street 90 will save space though thanks for the tip

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 141 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.0%
Back