Choosing an overflow(drilled)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Wfduncan89
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Wfduncan89

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 5, 2021
Messages
54
Reaction score
25
Location
Charleston
What state or country do you live in
South Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a 30 gallon long innovative marine with 20 gallon sump. I am trying to choose an overflow box and I am looking at the modular marine 800 gph and 1200 gph. I haven't chosen a return pump yet. I'll ideally have two return outlets on either end of the tank (the tank being 35ish inches long). I would imagine the 800 gph would be more than enough to handle 2-5xor whatever I want turnover, however The 800 has 1/2 inch drains and the 1200 gph has 3/4 inch drains...My main concern is how 1/2 vs 3/4 inch plumbing will work for me. Should I have any concerns/considerations? Any reason to go one over the other?
 
This chart has been around for years. The overflow boxes will handle it but the drain pipe might be limiting factor.

1767665112299.png
 
As long as it has three pipes for drains. I would go with the 800 which it looks like it does. That will ensure you off silent overflow.
 
The modular marine 800 gph would be plenty. 10x turnover is only 300gph which you’ll be fine with for 1/2” pipe. I’d be more concerned about 3/4” pipe causing issues with trapped air and siphon start problems.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new