Return plumbing question

magicwhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Rossmont Riser 550 for my sump (40 breeder tank with a 20 long sump).

I just added baffles to the sump and am getting ready to plumb everything but I'm not sure how to plumb the return line. The return outlet on the pump has threading for a barb fitting.

I'm assuming the normal way to plumb this would be to go vinyl -> PVC using some sort of adapter?

Also, I'm not adding another bulkhead to the tank for the return, I'm planning to just go over the top. Can you just glue locline to PVC? I see that there are some threaded connectors for locline but not sure what those go to.

Jeto2004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of folks use a short piece of silicon hose to absorb vibration and go barb to barb fitting to PVC hard plumbing.
Isn’s the locline terminated in a male thread? Glue a female thread adaptor to your return line. More flexible for changes in the future...

flabryth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Rossmont Riser 550 for my sump (40 breeder tank with a 20 long sump).

I just added baffles to the sump and am getting ready to plumb everything but I'm not sure how to plumb the return line. The return outlet on the pump has threading for a barb fitting.

I'm assuming the normal way to plumb this would be to go vinyl -> PVC using some sort of adapter?

Also, I'm not adding another bulkhead to the tank for the return, I'm planning to just go over the top. Can you just glue locline to PVC? I see that there are some threaded connectors for locline but not sure what those go to.

I would use and adaptor for the loc line...what type depends on the connection end of the loc line. The female end of the adapter needs to be a slip joint connection in order to connect to pvc tube. If you are using vinyl tubing then you need a barbed end. Do not glue things into place (if you glue) until you have tested the setup out. if using vinyl synch the lines down using zip ties for that added security.

As for the overall design of you plumbing the less adapters and bends the better but, do it right or you are going to have water everywhere.

OP
OP
M

magicwhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks for the info guys.
Its now plumbed and mostly glued (I haven’t glued on the top part of the return yet still waiting on the slip adapter for the locline)

I found a barb adapter for the vinyl hose -> pvc so I went that route and it’s working fine. However I’m noticing 2 other things now.

First my return section in my sump is pretty low. The pump I’m using is a Rossmont riser 550 gph. I’m assuming that this pump is just too much flow for the sump. (Tank is 40 gal sump is 20). Is this true? They have a little wifi device that can control this AC pump if I were to get that and throttle the pump down would that raise the water level in the sump?

I could also add more water. Right now with everything turned off it drains within like 2 inches of the top of the sump. I’m just pretty paranoid about overflowing it lol

the second thing is that sometimes the overflow box is making a little vortex. I’ve adjusted the gate valve so the water level in the overflow is about the same height as the emergency drain (running herbie style overflow I think it’s called). It’s not a big deal if it sometimes happens and make noise just wondering if there’s something simple to stop it from happening.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 152 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%

Back