Return pump for 225 gallon?

  • Thread starter Thread starter cameronh
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 11, 2015
Messages
6,791
Reaction score
5,320
Location
GA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size return pump should I get for a tank this size? 30 inches tall, 6 feet long 2 feet front to back display. Thanks guys
 
[HASHTAG]#reefsquad[/HASHTAG]
 
Going to depend on a few things. Are you looking for an internal or external pump? Also will this just be a return Or will you be running a manifold for reactors with it as well?
 
Going to depend on a few things. Are you looking for an internal or external pump? Also will this just be a return Or will you be running a manifold for reactors with it as well?
Just a return pump from underneath. Nothing too crazy
 
I would take a look into some of the DC pumps. A few different companies make them. They are very quiet and adjustable which is nice. I run a jeabo dc-6000 and have been happy with it. It's getting a kilt old so I'm looking into replacing it soon. More than likely going with an ecotech vectra.
 
I would take a look into some of the DC pumps. A few different companies make them. They are very quiet and adjustable which is nice. I run a jeabo dc-6000 and have been happy with it. It's getting a kilt old so I'm looking into replacing it soon. More than likely going with an ecotech vectra.
Definitely will check that out. If you had to throw a number on how many gallons per hour, what number would you go with? Thanks man
 
Jebao DC9000 or DC12000. I assume you are going with a full siphon drain so you'll need it. They are very nice I have 2. Price is right too!
 
Definitely will check that out. If you had to throw a number on how many gallons per hour, what number would you go with? Thanks man


I would go for about 5x tank volume taking into account head loss.
 
Sicce Sycra pumps are nice, so are Eheim. Both very dependable and quiet.
 
Just got the dct 15000 on amazon its amazing so far water return is so good I run it on the second lowest setting because my one inch over flow can't keep up I'll be installing a 3 inch overflow when I get my Christmas gift .. New tank lol
 
If you want very quiet, check out the Vectra M1.
 
I have twin pumps on the same size rank and was thinking about 2 M1's due to noise. Can they be throttled down for this system? I have Blueline HD pumps now.
 
I have twin pumps on the same size rank and was thinking about 2 M1's due to noise. Can they be throttled down for this system? I have Blueline HD pumps now.

They are very adjustable. Very easy to use.
And really quiet.
Can you combine everything and use a Vectra L1? 3100gph and it is controllable too.
 
Going bigger Cameronh? :p;):)
I was looking into Jebao DCT1200 as well, super sale right now at Amazon, for $129
Haha yeah man, had to get a tank a little bigger than my 3 gallon. I actually have a 120 instead of 225.
 
They are very adjustable. Very easy to use.
And really quiet.
Can you combine everything and use a Vectra L1? 3100gph and it is controllable too.
The thought behind the twin pump system is for safety. I travel, and my wife has never had a tank before. If one pump fails, the LFS guy is 45 miles away and sometimes doesn't call back for a day or two. That buys me time and I'm willing to pay for that peace of mind. I'd also have a very happy wife with quieter pumps.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 1 33.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new