Return pump for basment sump

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to find a good return pump option for my 100g system. My sump is in the basement directly under my tank, from the bottom of the sump to the top of the tank is just about 10 feet. I'm currently using a cor20 and getting around 200gph from it but I would like to get a little more turn over through my tank. I'm currently using 1" line on the return that goes to a 1" flow sensor right under the tank and then from there to 3/4" for a few inches to connect to the bottom bulkhead. Would really like to keep it an internal pump if possible but will go external if its the only option. I have been looking at the sicce syncra SDC 9.0 and my lfs also recommended the vectra l2. My only concern is I don't want to spend 4-500$ for only a 50gph increase or something along those lines. Let me know what has worked for you guys! TIA!

CK00020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with camero show, but if you can’t afford that I use a large jebao dcp and it is dead silent. I have to put my hand on the pipe to make sure it’s running. Now I have a sicce in the sump as well a adv7 on my skimmer, I can sure tell that one is running.

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with camero show, but if you can’t afford that I use a large jebao dcp and it is dead silent. I have to put my hand on the pipe to make sure it’s running. Now I have a sicce in the sump as well a adv7 on my skimmer, I can sure tell that one is running.
Noise won't really be an issue as it's in the basement.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jebao 20000.. been running my upstairs 200g reef for ~3yrs. No problems…. Never taken apart to clean, restarts after any power outage, and running thru over ~40’ of 1” line.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to find a good return pump option for my 100g system. My sump is in the basement directly under my tank, from the bottom of the sump to the top of the tank is just about 10 feet. I'm currently using a cor20 and getting around 200gph from it but I would like to get a little more turn over through my tank. I'm currently using 1" line on the return that goes to a 1" flow sensor right under the tank and then from there to 3/4" for a few inches to connect to the bottom bulkhead. Would really like to keep it an internal pump if possible but will go external if its the only option. I have been looking at the sicce syncra SDC 9.0 and my lfs also recommended the vectra l2. My only concern is I don't want to spend 4-500$ for only a 50gph increase or something along those lines. Let me know what has worked for you guys! TIA!
Not what you asked, but another data point.
I put a chiller in the basement for my main floor dt, but was limited to 5/8 hose for stupid reasons. Got an iwaki md-40rt pushes 300 gph thru that. Would easily push 4 to 500 thru bigger hose in your case.

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not what you asked, but another data point.
I put a chiller in the basement for my main floor dt, but was limited to 5/8 hose for stupid reasons. Got an iwaki md-40rt pushes 300 gph thru that. Would easily push 4 to 500 thru bigger hose in your case.
Yea I was also looking at the reeflo hammerhead/barracuda as an external option but I'm trying to avoid drilling my sump if possible. My sump does sit up on a stand so I thought I could maybe run an external pump lower than the sump with a hang over line or something too but I'm not sure if that would work.

jspuck25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also agree with the jebao suggestion.
I use a dcp 20000 for a very similar set up.
400 gph running at 111 watts. 165 is the max output. For the price its not terrible to get another as a back up.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I was also looking at the reeflo hammerhead/barracuda as an external option but I'm trying to avoid drilling my sump if possible. My sump does sit up on a stand so I thought I could maybe run an external pump lower than the sump with a hang over line or something too but I'm not sure if that would work.
I have a u tube on the suction side going into the display tank with some screening over the inlet, so far so good, but only 300 gph.

jspuck25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this exact thing with the hang over line. It does work. I did not get the flow though. If i can remember right i was only getting about 200gph out of it. The seal also started to weep after about a year.

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t, but I have it running at like 80% through 1 1/4” pvc with 2 outputs with 2 double headed line locks on each for a total of 8. No issues. Also no issue with noise either.
How high are you pushing up?

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been running a jebao 10000 on my 210 G and had the impeller freeze up after a year because of Ca build up. totally my fault. found one for 23 bucks on amazon the 8500 is the same size. original motor however and im only running 45% and want or need no more flow. These are great pumps for a 100 bucks and save me A LOT of cash compared to my Iwakis

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running an Vectra L1 on my basement sump. has two 10ft horizontal runs that are 10ft each then goes up 6ft and splits into the two returns. Currently its running at 49% so I have room to play if I want to up my flow into my sump.

I got this pump used as well so cost wise it was effective.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back