return pump for dual overflows

Mr.Asbury

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am finalizing my equipment list for an upcoming build. It will be a 180g tank with dual corner overflows. Currently, I have a Varios Controllable DC Pump (2700gph) on my supplies list. Am I fine using this and splitting the PVC to return water to both overflow corners, or do I need to get 2 separate, smaller pumps and run 1 to each overflow? I want to make sure I have the right stuff at the beginning, rather than trying to play catch-up while the tank is cycling. I was planning on just splitting the return line to both until I saw another user's build thread that had a separate pump for each overflow.

phlibbyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am finalizing my equipment list for an upcoming build. It will be a 180g tank with dual corner overflows. Currently, I have a Varios Controllable DC Pump (2700gph) on my supplies list. Am I fine using this and splitting the PVC to return water to both overflow corners, or do I need to get 2 separate, smaller pumps and run 1 to each overflow? I want to make sure I have the right stuff at the beginning, rather than trying to play catch-up while the tank is cycling. I was planning on just splitting the return line to both until I saw another user's build thread that had a separate pump for each overflow.
I am sure you are fine with one large return pump and splitting. With this being said I have a 125 gallon with dual overflow and I am running 2 Vectra s1's. I like having the redundancy incase I have an issue with one of the pumps, the other one is still flowing. That would be my suggestion, two smaller pumps.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You will be fine with a single return pump.
The VarioS-8 is suppose to be very dependable.
I use the VarioS-6S as my skimmer pump and I love how quiet it is.

I too have seen people using/talking about using 2 pumps for redundancy but IMO getting a reliable pump in the first place makes more sense.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One pump!

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting ready to start assembling my new Custom SCA 150 Rimless tank! I have decided to run two return pumps - one for each return!
I already have 1 @EcoTech Marine Vectra M1 from my previous build and now I just bought the new #ApexCOR20. Its always better to run two return pumps, in my opinion, b/c if ever one breaks down your screwed.
I like running two return pumps b/c when I AM cleaning my one return pump in citric acid the other one is still running my system, meaning I never have to shut down the entire system!
Different strokes for different folks!

Plumbing my CL-44.JPG

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 36 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back