return pump in display as overflow? (equal gph as sump return) would it work?

elliottgraniteo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wondering if it would be possible instead of an overflow box could you place a return pump in the display tank with equal GPH as the return pump in the sump? I don't want to drill the tank and don't want to spend big money on an external overflow box.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you must see the flaw in the plan right? When one pump stops working one day...

There is a reason canister filters are sealed tight and have a single pump.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wondering if it would be possible instead of an overflow box could you place a return pump in the display tank with equal GPH as the return pump in the sump? I don't want to drill the tank and don't want to spend big money on an external overflow box.

Will never get the to match GPH.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides all of the above you will almost certainly spend more on 2 pumps then you would either for a glass drill bit and bulkheads assuming the tank is not tempered or a hob overflow. Unless of course you are planning on really cheap pumps - not that expensive ones would do the job in question regardless.

Keep in mind unless it's a huge custom tank, the actual glass box is not going to be one of the most expensive parts of a reef aquarium.

OP
OP
elliottgraniteo

elliottgraniteo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides all of the above you will almost certainly spend more on 2 pumps then you would either for a glass drill bit and bulkheads assuming the tank is not tempered or a hob overflow. Unless of course you are planning on really cheap pumps - not that expensive ones would do the job in question regardless.

Keep in mind unless it's a huge custom tank, the actual glass box is not going to be one of the most expensive parts of a reef aquarium.
Yeah tank in question is only a 40B. Wasn't planning on expensive pumps in the first place if I did ever attempt it. Just wanted to see what every one else thought since a quick google search didn't really bring anything up about it.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can probably get a used old school U-tube overflow box locally for about $20-30.
Ask on local forums
I'd also check the used equipment sales sections
Put in a request also in the want to buy section

This is a good price for a new one--

Last edited:

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooner or later - water on the floor with that solution - if you do not spent $xxxx on level indicators, flow meters and other safety devices

Sincerely Lasse

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah tank in question is only a 40B. Wasn't planning on expensive pumps in the first place if I did ever attempt it. Just wanted to see what every one else thought since a quick google search didn't really bring anything up about it.

Done it...same situation way back in the day, didn't want to drill, didn't want to spend money. I made a overflow box(old aquaclear HOB), put a pump in it with a float switch. I valved it somewhere, could never get the flow just right. I was soon buying a CPR overflow box.

There are some things that work well as DIY....this is not one of them....drill the tank if it is dry right now.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back