Return pump issue-Vectra M2

mrtian97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have issue with my Vectra M2 return pump. Everytime I turn off the pump (for water change), when I turn it back on, it will run for 1 minute then turn itself off, then turn back on for 1 minute then off again and on again. To fix this issue, I have to disassemble the pump and put the rotor back in, then it runs fine. This setup has run for 4 years with no issue.

I have eliminate potential causes, including working with ecotech:
1. The pump itself is fine, Ecotech has replaced the pump and does the same thing
2. Power supply is fine. Ecotech replaced it and does the same
3. Calibration: I have recalibrated the system as Ecotech suggested, no change

the return pump basically connect to a T , which 1 side goes to the display tank and the other side goes to BRS media reactor for carbon. Over the year, the valve to the media pretty much clogged, so I no longer use this side.

questions:

1. is it possible the back pressure in the media reactor side causing the vectra to turn itself off?

2. I am thinking to cap the media reactor side, which is using a 3/4” union, I am thinking to use new union with 3/4” pvc and then cap the end. Would this solve my issue. This will be the easiest way for me without having to reconfigure the return line too much

3. Or if #2 above doesn’t work, I am thinking to reconfigure the return line by removing the T and just having straight PVC to the Display Tank. My configuration would be: 1” PVC connect to the Vectra M2 sleeves, then reduce the pipe to 3/4” then union connection, then 3/4” to barbed fitting, then flex tubing from barbed fitting to the tank barbed fitting in the bulkhead(existing).

thanks much for your input

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it could be backed up water pressure from shutting the pump off. Is there a check valve or something preventing the water from purging?

OP
OP
mrtian97

mrtian97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have check valve. My sump large enough that the water doesn’t overflow when the pump is off. I didn’t know that without having check valve can cause this. It didn’t give me this issue for several yrs

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Check inside your overflow, and the plumbing lines. You need to make sure a drain or return isn’t clogged. 4 years is plenty of time for scum build up.

NYCMAN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this issue on one my my L2s. It would start, stop, restart, etc. I just gave it time and it eventually started to run continuously. Never took it apart.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back