Return pump outlet size question

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the return pump outlet need to match the drain (return) whole size?

Basically, if return pump outlet is 1.25 and drain / bulkhead size for return is 1.5, is that ok?

Can I use 1.5 pvc and just use adapter at end for return pump outlet (or do they need to match)?

For more details (it’s you DIY guys fault who have me convinced I should plumb my own tank so I can pick my own sump even though I have zero experience in plumbing sumps).

I am having tank drilled (internal overflow, I wanted this, with 4 drain holes / bulkheads). I can pick the size. I am highly considering a Bashsea sump, 3 drains at 1.5”. So I would have the drains in tank (bulkheads) drilled to match 1.5” (?).

For a return pump, I was highly considering Varios 8, it’s specs say 1.25” outlet. So is that ok? Can I use this pump in this set up?

Should I consider another return pump (or sump?)? Any suggestions highly appreciated.

240g tank, 72” long.

Thank you!

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem at all....actually you'll reduce frictional loss, and that's a good thing.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back