Return pump recommendation?

Which return pumps for this system?


  • Total voters
    18
I'm nervous about that...I got two for my return pumps. Still waiting on my tank and I keep getting the impression neptune doesn't understand how to build power supplies lol

Being a retired sysadmin I know that power supplies are often the weak spot on so many devices so I wasn't shaken by this. Also, I have replacements on hand for most of my major support items so it was a few minute swap.
 
I buy backup power supplies for all my aquarium equipment.
Can be a bit pricey for something that may never be used.
But when you need one...
 
I would recommend 3-5 times turnover rate through your sump, which would be 750-1200 gpm at whatever head pressure you estimate. Most systems I’d imagine are around 6‘ as a good guess. Look at the curves and shoot for that flow at that head pressure. Or you can buy a big/loud/hot/expensive oversized pump and throttle it down anyway because your overflow is only going to take so much once you dial it to be quiet. BRS has a decent video on the subject I watched last night. Redundancy is a slippery slope; I’m guessing you don’t have two cars/water heaters/furnaces/houses do you?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 18 20.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 26 29.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 8.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new