Return pump recommendations for 40B mixed reef?

Reef Tanker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a 40 Breeder mixed reef with a 20L sump. It seems like people are using a lot of different return pumps for this kind of tank. I think I still have my old Magdrive 350 from 20 years ago. It would probably still work but I’m thinking I need more flow and maybe the adjustability and controllability of a DC pump. I have the Eshopps M overflow and a 3/4” return.

I was thinking of one of the Jebao pumps on Amazon, not sure which would be best. Or maybe a Hydor Seltz 750 or 1000? Any other ideas? I don‘t want to spent a fortune on a Vectra or something like that. I see that some of these pumps only have a 6 to 8 foot head capability! My old Mag 3 can do 10.5 feet so I wonder if it even competes on actual flow with these higher GPH rated pumps.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Another brand to consider that often gets overlooked but is a solid value is Rossmont.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s gonna be hard to beat your mag drive. I won’t pay extra for DC so I’m still a fan of eheim and mag drive. I hear good things about jebao though. I would spend my cash on the in tank powerheads like mp40’s etc. Good luck!

OP
OP
Reef Tanker

Reef Tanker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked at the Danner website and they rate the Mag 3 at about 275 GPH at 4’. I think that would be enough for a 40.

It has a 1/2” output so I would need a 3/4” adapter for the 3/4” tubing to the return.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked at the Danner website and they rate the Mag 3 at about 275 GPH at 4’. I think that would be enough for a 40.

It has a 1/2” output so I would need a 3/4” adapter for the 3/4” tubing to the return.
Yes, that’s plenty. A few tank turnovers per hour through the sump is all you need. That assumes you have other good in tank powerheads.

bob salzlein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a 40 Breeder mixed reef with a 20L sump. It seems like people are using a lot of different return pumps for this kind of tank. I think I still have my old Magdrive 350 from 20 years ago. It would probably still work but I’m thinking I need more flow and maybe the adjustability and controllability of a DC pump. I have the Eshopps M overflow and a 3/4” return.

I was thinking of one of the Jebao pumps on Amazon, not sure which would be best. Or maybe a Hydor Seltz 750 or 1000? Any other ideas? I don‘t want to spent a fortune on a Vectra or something like that. I see that some of these pumps only have a 6 to 8 foot head capability! My old Mag 3 can do 10.5 feet so I wonder if it even competes on actual flow with these higher GPH rated pumps.
Go with the Hydor Seltz DC, no heat like the Mag Drive and it is controllable.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep that mag around. It will take many Jebaos to replace that mag and you will need it when they fail and you are waiting on a new one to get there. You can use it to mix water in the mean time and you might want to swap them out when you go on vacation, or won't be around the tank for a while.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will get me somewhat on a soapbox, so I apologize in advance. They are a Chinese company who steals patents from real EU and US companies and makes true knockoffs of their stuff - this is not to be confused with legit Chinese companies that adhere to all fair-trade laws and acts. ...so they do harm to Companies who actually innovate and create for the hobby. On top of all of this, they have the worst quality in the hobby - they just churn and burn products with no QC. There are many, many threads about bad jebao quality on this board - reviews are mostly written by fanboys or users who are have not had enough time to evaluate a product.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sicce 2.0

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back