Return pump recommendations for marine x 90.3

Cajun_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first tank that comes with a sump, so I'm completely lost on how to go about this. It's a Waterbox Marine x90.3 (The display is 60 gallons, with a 30 gallon sump).

From what BRS suggests, circulating the water at about 3-4x turnover per hour is sufficient-- meaning you could potentially get a smaller, cheaper pump if you've got decent powerheads? I already have two AI Nero 5's that are going into the tank on either side, so now I'm looking for a return pump.

I've come up with these options:

1. Mightyjet Midsize AIO DC Return (538GPH) from Innovative Marine

2. Syncra Silent 3.5 from Sicce (660GPH)

3. Varios-2 from Reef Octopus (792GPH)

Waterbox suggests getting the Syncra Silent 4.0, but if I don't really need that much power in my return pump, what's the point of spending the extra money? I get that I can always "over power" and just not run the pump at full speed, thus buying some life on the pump itself. But what do you guys think? What can I get away with?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to take head pressure and wear and tear into consideration when selecting a pump. It is never just apples to apples. I would go with either the Sicce or Varios, they are both great pumps that will not let you down, with more focus on the Varios for the added GPH. If Waterbox suggests a Sicce 4.0 then I would go with that much GPH. They are factoring in head pressure and such which is why they selected that pump. You could also go with a Varios 2 or 4. As return pumps get dirty they do loose some steam. ;)

-XENOMORPH-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first tank that comes with a sump, so I'm completely lost on how to go about this. It's a Waterbox Marine x90.3 (The display is 60 gallons, with a 30 gallon sump).

From what BRS suggests, circulating the water at about 3-4x turnover per hour is sufficient-- meaning you could potentially get a smaller, cheaper pump if you've got decent powerheads? I already have two AI Nero 5's that are going into the tank on either side, so now I'm looking for a return pump.

I've come up with these options:

1. Mightyjet Midsize AIO DC Return (538GPH) from Innovative Marine

2. Syncra Silent 3.5 from Sicce (660GPH)

3. Varios-2 from Reef Octopus (792GPH)

Waterbox suggests getting the Syncra Silent 4.0, but if I don't really need that much power in my return pump, what's the point of spending the extra money? I get that I can always "over power" and just not run the pump at full speed, thus buying some life on the pump itself. But what do you guys think? What can I get away with?
Hi. What return pump did u go with? I just put together my 90x the last 3 days. Unfortunately purchased a sicce sdc 7.0. first of all, way too big. It's obnoxious. I'm gonna be replacing it. I noticed in ur comment you said you could turn it down? I'm sure u know only a dc pump is controllable. I think the sicce 4 Waterbox recommend is AC. M among it's always on the same power level. So now I too... Have to pick a new return pump. Something way smaller. Lol.

OP
OP
Cajun_Reefer

Cajun_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. What return pump did u go with? I just put together my 90x the last 3 days. Unfortunately purchased a sicce sdc 7.0. first of all, way too big. It's obnoxious. I'm gonna be replacing it. I noticed in ur comment you said you could turn it down? I'm sure u know only a dc pump is controllable. I think the sicce 4 Waterbox recommend is AC. M among it's always on the same power level. So now I too... Have to pick a new return pump. Something way smaller. Lol.
Yeah lol I meant that if I DID go with. DC pump, that I could control it and not use as much power. :)

But I ended up going with the Reef Octopus VarioS-4. It fits perfect and it's super quiet. I think it's rated for 1050 GPH

DatsoonDave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello first post. New to the forum..... I am running the recommended sicci on a new water box marine x 90 the 4.0 Does seem a bit much and I have yet to turn on the Nero 5 pumps. I always thought return pumps were to return the water, and the power heads and or wave makers were supposed to take over the rest for water movement ... Maybe the sicci will lose steam over time like one suggested. A sea horse or a cow fish would have quite the ride

DB

DatsoonDave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah lol I meant that if I DID go with. DC pump, that I could control it and not use as much power. :)

But I ended up going with the Reef Octopus VarioS-4. It fits perfect and it's super quiet. I think it's rated for 1050 GPH
Hello. I started a 90 water box not too long ago and my sicce 4 pump they suggested is pretty loud and hums all day long... And I think it is stronger than what I am looking for because I bought two neuro 5s along with it. Do you like the DC pump you bought to replace yours ? Thank you so much.! Dave

KC Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 90.3 also and had the Sicce 3 (714 gph) and found even with it dialed all the way down return flow into socks were too much flow causing noise and finally replaced with Sicce 2.0 dialed all the way down from 568 to approximately 500 gph perfect slow water flow into socks ultra quiet. To compensate for the lower dual overflow output, I added a Mp40 set at 30%

DatsoonDave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 90.3 also and had the Sicce 3 (714 gph) and found even with it dialed all the way down return flow into socks were too much flow causing noise and finally replaced with Sicce 2.0 dialed all the way down from 568 to approximately 500 gph perfect slow water flow into socks ultra quiet. To compensate for the lower dual overflow output, I added a Mp40 set at 30%
Nice. Sicce sent me a brand new pump. But I bought an octopus vari 4 I think it is. That with 2 Nero 5s, seems much quieter than the Sicce. But I never tried the replacement . I figured I'd keep as a back up just in case .

Back