Return Pump selection

rt8169

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Long time lurker but need some input and couldn't find quite what I'm looking for in the search. I have a 210 gallon tank and I'm currently running an older reeflo dart/snapper hybrid. I bought a second via BRS so I could get my current rebuilt and keep a spare. Today when I opened the box I noticed the new motor was a different size and after some research I see a lot of threads about the newer pumps not being so great and they no longer use the baldor motors.. AND they don't automatically give you the second impeller?

While I have to argue about my return with BRS I'm trying to find a better pump to use. Looking for something with 1500-2000gph at 6ft of head. Heat isn't really a problem in my setup, mostly interested in lower sound level. I can see from my current experience the reputation some brands have built are no longer applicable. So what is *actually* good right now?

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're looking for a pump with a lower sound level and good performance, the Ecotech Vectra L2 Pump is a great choice. It can provide a flow rate of up to 2,000 gallons per hour with a 6-foot head pressure. Additionally, it features a DC motor, which is more energy-efficient and quieter than AC motors. The pump also includes advanced features such as wireless connectivity, controllability, and automatic shut-off. I have an M2 on a battery backup. Been great.

OP
OP
R

rt8169

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that is a really good suggestion, ticks all my boxes! I will have to dig into it a little deeper now. Thank you.

mnl119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Long time lurker but need some input and couldn't find quite what I'm looking for in the search. I have a 210 gallon tank and I'm currently running an older reeflo dart/snapper hybrid. I bought a second via BRS so I could get my current rebuilt and keep a spare. Today when I opened the box I noticed the new motor was a different size and after some research I see a lot of threads about the newer pumps not being so great and they no longer use the baldor motors.. AND they don't automatically give you the second impeller?

While I have to argue about my return with BRS I'm trying to find a better pump to use. Looking for something with 1500-2000gph at 6ft of head. Heat isn't really a problem in my setup, mostly interested in lower sound level. I can see from my current experience the reputation some brands have built are no longer applicable. So what is *actually* good right now?
I have two Jebao DCT-12000's running on a 125 mixed reef and 185 gallon FOWLR. They are about $130 online. It's a DC pump and I've been impressed with both the low noise and flow rates for such an "economical" pump. Fully adjustable for flow via the DC controller.

OP
OP
R

rt8169

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Jebao DCS-12000's I've run on smaller tanks for several years with no issues. I did have one jebao pump quit working for me 10 years ago, but that was the very first model they released, I think it was just a plain "DC-12000" model. They have developed further since then.

The DC pumps to me are really appealing for the reasons Roli's Reef Ranch mentioned.. Sound Levels, Controllable speed, and Power consumption.

I was thinking I should change to a "grown up" pump for this bigger tank since the stakes were higher and I needed more flow, but maybe I shouldn't change what's been working.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jebao DCP. Silent, low maintenance, good price point.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are pumping from an in-stand sump, you're likely not even dealing with 6 feet of head pressure. I have been quite happy with the Vectra pumps. Not PanWorld/Iwaki longevity, but pretty much silent. Got almost 8 years out of my Vectra M1. Are you going external or internal? Not sure I'd trust a Jebao run externally.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love mine! I’m running that thing hard without any issues on a 400 gallon system.. tank is 275 alone.

Attachments

• F9A6D1D4-2A42-4C7B-8C0A-7371F14E9B68.png
    F9A6D1D4-2A42-4C7B-8C0A-7371F14E9B68.png
    291.1 KB · Views: 31

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the Vectra L2. Replaced my dart with Vectra pump many years ago. Best choice I ever made. The pump is completely silent and only run it about 3/4 power. It runs my 255 and all reactors. Same as the reeflow dart did, but at 3/4 power I get more water movement than the dart. That was the big surprise.

I have my L2 plumped with 2" inlet and 1.5" outlet. So direct replacement from the reeflo dart.

OP
OP
R

rt8169

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are pumping from an in-stand sump, you're likely not even dealing with 6 feet of head pressure. I have been quite happy with the Vectra pumps. Not PanWorld/Iwaki longevity, but pretty much silent. Got almost 8 years out of my Vectra M1. Are you going external or internal? Not sure I'd trust a Jebao run externally.
It's an in-stand sump and you're right it's maybe 4 feet, but when you factor in elbows and attached accessories I think 6 feet is the right number.

OP
OP
R

rt8169

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may also consider trying Saltwateraquarium.com instead of BRS. They don't argue, they just take care of you, at least that has been my experience.
Thank you, will take a look! You really get bent over at BRS if you return a drop-shipped item. Pay your own shipping and automatic 20% restocking fee.

Eggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on Jebao DCT-12000.

I picked one up used as part of a 300g setup. Ended up using it on a 125g and have been pleasantly surprised.
Bought a couple of new DCT-10000 from someone who was selling equipment, to keep as a backup and another setup at some point.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a few jebaos around my fish room they are great and my liquid rock water doesnt or hasnt seemed to effect them. Ive had most of them going on 3 years. About once a year ill clean them...maybe. On my 300g pond the dcp 15000 ive done nothing with, and its only running at 50% way overkill for a 300g stock tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back