Return Pump size?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Th0rn
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Th0rn

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 17, 2015
Messages
714
Reaction score
279
Location
York, PA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys!

So I am back in the hobby after a long hiatus and have a question about return pumps. I am setting up a tank in the new house I just purchased and I am going to plumb the sump into the basement. I will have about 15ft of head pressure. Will a iwaki md-100rlt do the job? Its a 130 gallon display so realistically i would like to move 1300gph.
 
It certainly will work but it consumes around 400W of power. I would suggest a 55R which could deliver about 750-800 gph at 15 ft using only about 190W. I think that amount of flow would work fine for a 135 gal. If you do want to go for 1300 gph, make sure you use a large return line. I would recommend 1-1/2" for that flow.
 
Upvote 0
It certainly will work but it consumes around 400W of power. I would suggest a 55R which could deliver about 750-800 gph at 15 ft using only about 190W. I think that amount of flow would work fine for a 135 gal. If you do want to go for 1300 gph, make sure you use a large return line. I would recommend 1-1/2" for that flow.
unfortunately the tank is drilled for 1” and the overflow is plumped at 1” so i am kinda stuck with that
 
Upvote 0
You could still run the 1-1/2" line and reduce down at the bulkhead. There will still be some loss of flow, but it will be better than running a 1" line which will probably limit you to about 600 gph. I would definitely only target 700-800 gph with a 55R if you only have a single 1" return bulkhead.
 
Upvote 0
You could still run the 1-1/2" line and reduce down at the bulkhead. There will still be some loss of flow, but it will be better than running a 1" line which will probably limit you to about 600 gph. I would definitely only target 700-800 gph with a 55R if you only have a single 1" return bulkhead.
Okay i will do that!
 
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 21.9%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new