Maxing out the watts on Energy bar

  • Thread starter Thread starter atomic081
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

atomic081

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 19, 2017
Messages
351
Reaction score
1,042
Location
Rushville , Indiana
What state or country do you live in
Indiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have 5 400w Metal Halides I want to run off my Apex (they have a dedicated circuit). I bought a new energy bar for these but i now read that it can only handle 1500 total watts. So i did a test and turned on all my heaters (1250 watts) and my return pump (350watts). It wouldnt let all the heaters work at once, keeping its right around 1500 watts total.

SO Im considering putting my 2 of the Metal Halides on my other curcuit with my return pump and heaters. Can i set the heaters not to ever turn on if the Halides are on?

I might just have to buy a 3rd energy bar......grrrrr
 
Sure you can.

If Outlet (outlet name) = ON Then OFF
If Outlet (outlet name) = OFF Then ON

So

In your heater outlets

If Outlet MH1 = ON Then OFF
If Outlet MH1 = OFF Then ON
If Outlet MH2 = ON Then OFF
If Outlet MH2 = OFF Then ON
If Outlet MH3 = ON Then OFF
If Outlet MH3 = OFF Then ON
If Outlet MH4 = ON Then OFF
If Outlet MH4 = OFF Then ON

and so on for each heater outlet.

You can do it based on time as well depending on your light schedule.
 
Last edited:
Could you add contactor and remove the load from the energybar?
 
Couldn’t you just use 2 different energy bars and split the load up evenly between the 2?
 
Couldn’t you just use 2 different energy bars and split the load up evenly between the 2?

I already have 2, I am trying to not buy a 3rd since I only have 2 circuits dedicated for the lights and heaters/return. I guess i didn't make that clear....oops ;Facepalm
 
Can you explain this please.

I was talking about using a relay or a contactor to switch the high load of your light. The control side would be on your energybar. I am sure there are some threads here about building one.

iu


In the above sample image your energybar would poer the coil and your lights would be hooked up to the normally open side.
 
I was talking about using a relay or a contactor to switch the high load of your light. The control side would be on your energybar. I am sure there are some threads here about building one.

iu


In the above sample image your energybar would poer the coil and your lights would be hooked up to the normally open side.
That's actually a good idea. I was wondering since I went halide my self what I would do if I needed more juice. Relay is such an obvious answer lol
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new