Return pump, skimmer, and sump for 40 breeder

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I have a 40 breeder that I am planning to set up soon and have almost all the equipment ready. There is a few things I was unsure of to get at first, but would add them a few months in to a year. Many people said a return pump is necessary but some said you could have a healthy tank without it. I was unsure of getting a sump and a skimmer. I know once you get coral a skimmer is necessary so I am holding out on the coral for about 8 months. With the sump I have also heard it is not a necessity for your tank, but is a nice addition. Just wanting to hear your opinion on all of this. Thanks!

Alex Cataldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can certainly have a successful tank with hang on gear. But a sump allows you to hide all the equipment and in some cases can make it easier to preform maintenance. It does add a level of complexity setting it up but it’s well worth the effort. As far as needing a skimmer, they really help and can be a very effective filter. Some tanks with very minimal bio load can get away without one though, but if your planning on going heavy SPS it is recommended. Hope this helps!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sump is just a place to keep your equipment (heater, skimmer, dosing, ATO, etc) and to add water volume. They are nice, but you don't need one, but I would usually have one.

For a 40 breeder, I would make my own sump out of a 20 Long. There are other options, obviously.

If you have a sump, you need a return pump. Shoot for about 5x turnover through your sump...so for a 40 gallon, a couple hundred gph return after head losses. An Eheim 1250 or 1260 is probably what I would use, depending on head, but there are a million opinions on return pumps.

You don't have to have a skimmer for corals. There are other ways, like algae scrubbers, or even going without a skimmer. Most people like skimmers.

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can certainly have a successful tank with hang on gear. But a sump allows you to hide all the equipment and in some cases can make it easier to preform maintenance. It does add a level of complexity setting it up but it’s well worth the effort. As far as needing a skimmer, they really help and can be a very effective filter. Some tanks with very minimal bio load can get away without one though, but if your planning on going heavy SPS it is recommended. Hope this helps!
Right now it is about 0.50 p

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back