Return Pump Suggestions

rooneyj889

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I am installing a basement sump for my 75 gallon tank. The overflow I am using can handle 1200 GPH of flow, however, I am looking to get about 400 GPH of flow through the sump.

The return will have to deal with about 15-20 feet of head pressure (This is a conservative estimate). I am also installing a manifold to feed a couple of media reactors and a refugium that is external to the sump. Additionally, the manifold will drain back to the sump at the end of the manifold. To control flow, I will be using a ball valve to control flow to the manifold and a ball valve on the return piping just after the manifold to control flow to the return.

Currently, I am looking at this as my return pump: https://www.championlighting.com/blueline_100_hd_external_water_pump.html

It can handle tons of head pressure and though it may be oversized in terms of GPH, I can control it using my manifold/drain and ball valves. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this return pump or any suggestions for other return pumps?

blitzkragz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a basement sump with 15ft of head pressure. Hands down, get an abyzz a400, its been running without a hiccup for 2 years (has a 10 year warranty). Use 2 inch piping.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i remember correctelly Blueline are made by Panworld and they are dropping their aquarium pumps. I would look at a different brand like Iwaki or Reeflo.

I would also not fun the manifold off of the return pump and would set up a separate pump.

OP
OP
rooneyj889

rooneyj889

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i remember correctelly Blueline are made by Panworld and they are dropping their aquarium pumps. I would look at a different brand like Iwaki or Reeflo.

I would also not fun the manifold off of the return pump and would set up a separate pump.
Oh, then why should I drop it then? I have been looking at other external pumps but none have the same max head and gph combination of the blueline.

Why not run the manifold off of that pump? Is that not what most people do? I am pretty sure with that blueline I will have plenty of flow left over that i can use for the manifold

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought you might want to know that it looks like they are being discontinued.

I think that having a separate pump is more efficient for your manifold so all the water is not being pumped at 20 feet of head. Return flow at 20' and manifold at lower head pressure.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try the Jebao DCP pumps. I think the 15000DC has about 22ft of head. I use the 5000 and no complaints so far.
+1 i use jebaos too and these are quality pumps.
Mine never gets cleaned and has been running for years.
Also the controller is nice for adjustments without the need to throttle a valve.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no reason to use a DC pump on a low flow, high head basement install. You will not save any power with the high head requirement. The Blueline 100 is overkill and will consume much more power than necessary (390W). A Blueline 55, Panworld PS200, or Iwaki 55 will certainly work. I think if you could reduce the head requirement to around 15 ft, a Blueline 40HD, Iwaki 40RT, or Panworld 100PX could work and save you some additional power. All of these pumps are very reliable and will likely last for 15 yrs or more.

I am not sure that Panworld has stopped making pumps or if there is just a distribution issue. The pumps that are used in aquariums are all still listed on their website - unless the entire company has gone under which would be unusual for a Japanese company. They were never "aquarium pumps" - just a light industrial duty general purpose pump that works well in saltwater aquariums.

If you are concerned about them, there is always still Iwaki.

Edit: I strongly agree with the recommendation to use a separate pump for return, and the other low head reactor/refugium functions. It is too costly in terms of power to raise all the flow to 15-20 ft of head and then kill it across a throttling valve for the reactors and refugium.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rooneyj889

rooneyj889

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no reason to use a DC pump on a low flow, high head basement install. You will not save any power with the high head requirement. The Blueline 100 is overkill and will consume much more power than necessary (390W). A Blueline 55, Panworld PS200, or Iwaki 55 will certainly work. I think if you could reduce the head requirement to around 15 ft, a Blueline 40HD, Iwaki 40RT, or Panworld 100PX could work and save you some additional power. All of these pumps are very reliable and will likely last for 15 yrs or more.

I am not sure that Panworld has stopped making pumps or if there is just a distribution issue. The pumps that are used in aquariums are all still listed on their website - unless the entire company has gone under which would be unusual for a Japanese company. They were never "aquarium pumps" - just a light industrial duty general purpose pump that works well in saltwater aquariums.

If you are concerned about them, there is always still Iwaki.
Yeah that was my thought but also potentially will be adding a second tank in the basement at some point so would rather get one that I could hook that tank up to as well

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that was my thought but also potentially will be adding a second tank in the basement at some point so would rather get one that I could hook that tank up to as well
If you add a tank in the basement, I would use a separate pump as well and combine it with reactor/refugium service because it will be a low head requirement. You could consider a DC pump for that service.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PanWorld or BlueLine are the best pumps for this. Iwaki too. You don't need a 100. Look at a 55 or 70... less wattage. These pumps are very long lived and very reliable. These are true decade-plus pumps.

There is a lot of stuff right now from Europe and Japan that is suffering from tariffs and not longer imported. This won't last forever.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That is good I was sure I had read that they had stopped making them must have misread that.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are out of stock in a lot of places. No word that they were discontinued, or what. Again, tariffs and a pandemic has made shipping from some smaller companies hard right now.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back