Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Return rate - check
Head height - check
All set? Apparently not! The pump I’m looking at has a “Outlet Hose Fittings: 3/4″ & 1″ Hose Barbs” uhhh what?!? The hose that will be attached to the pump and carry water to DT is 1/2 inch. Does that mean I can’t use this pump or does it mean I have to buy some kinda connector?

GabeM

King of... something.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Return rate - check
Head height - check
All set? Apparently not! The pump I’m looking at has a “Outlet Hose Fittings: 3/4″ & 1″ Hose Barbs” uhhh what?!? The hose that will be attached to the pump and carry water to DT is 1/2 inch. Does that mean I can’t use this pump or does it mean I have to buy some kinda connector?
You can use a step down barb adapter - but you will get increased velocity from the smaller tubing. They should sell these at local hardware/hydroponics stores.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you consider bumping up your return pumping to 3/4? That way you can use loc-line fittings and other fun flow options for your tank.

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using half inch on a pump that clearly wants 3/4 or 1 inch will greatly reduce the flow you get from it by creating alot of extra head pressure. If the pump isn't good with head pressure it may even break your pump. How much flow are you trying to get through a 1/2 inch line?

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pumps might get bogged down by lowering the output diameter... some won't mind. Which pump are you using?

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using half inch on a pump that clearly wants 3/4 or 1 inch will greatly reduce the flow you get from it by creating alot of extra head pressure. If the pump isn't good with head pressure it may even break your pump. How much flow are you trying to get through a 1/2 inch line?

110g DT. Would like 3-5 Xs that so 330-550 Gph. Head height is 1.5 m. I don’t even know what formula to use

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then get a 1/2 inch pump example in the rio series the 800 is the largest that is supposed to use 1/2 inch see pic
Wow you want 550 gallons pushed 1.5 meter through 1/2 inch ...are you sure it's 1/2 inch? For that much you should definitely have 3/4 inch plumbing min. If they drilled your 110 with half inch they messed up. Also how many drain bulkheads do you have as gravity fed 1/2 inch maxes out at 420 GPH with perfect plumbing. Expect more like 350 with turns.
You will need an expensive pump to push 550 through 1/2 inch, it's possible but you need to check your drains to make sure they can handle that much.

800_models_resize._V395085530_.jpg

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would skip DC if you are going to have restrictions like that. They are low RPM and made to move water without much back pressure. You could always size it up, but then you will kill any energy savings. Look low wattage AC like Mag, Fluval or Laguna, IMO.

Have you considered going over-the-top with your return and just making those three outlets into a Closed Loop? That would solve your back siphon issues too.

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just checked 10 different brands and I didn't find a single internal pump that can push 550 gph though 1/2 inch line up 1.5M.
They may exist but they are going to cost for sure. Can you run a 3/4 inch line up and over the back?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just named three brands that could... Mag, Laguna, Fluval... Ehiem and Tunze can too and probably even some of the Sicce models.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then get a 1/2 inch pump example in the rio series the 800 is the largest that is supposed to use 1/2 inch see pic
Wow you want 550 gallons pushed 1.5 meter through 1/2 inch ...are you sure it's 1/2 inch? For that much you should definitely have 3/4 inch plumbing min. If they drilled your 110 with half inch they messed up. Also how many drain bulkheads do you have as gravity fed 1/2 inch maxes out at 420 GPH with perfect plumbing. Expect more like 350 with turns.
You will need an expensive pump to push 550 through 1/2 inch, it's possible but you need to check your drains to make sure they can handle that much.

800_models_resize._V395085530_.jpg

Drain is 1.5 inches. I don’t know what a bulkhead is. What have I gotten myself into? :(

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bulkhead is the plastic thingy in the hole that you hook the return line to. There are plenty of stores and experienced reefers that will come plumb a basic plumbing job for like $100 plus parts. And they can get you the right pump too. I suggest you read alot or hire one of them. If you want to learn here is a great video. Please take 20min and watch this BRS has great videos and this one is plumbing your reef

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just checked 10 different brands and I didn't find a single internal pump that can push 550 gph though 1/2 inch line up 1.5M.
They may exist but they are going to cost for sure. Can you run a 3/4 inch line up and over the back?

Hmmm... what about 330? I hadn’t considered adding a line. Don’t see why not. LFS that sold me the system is trying to sell me a pump that can push 2,400 gph which is clearly overkill but might work considering head height and the 1/2 inch pipe? My drain pipe is 1.5 inches. According to my research, a gravity fed 1.5 inch pipe can handle 2,100 gph.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bulkhead is the plastic thingy in the hole that you hook the return line to. There are plenty of stores and experienced reefers that will come plumb a basic plumbing job for like $100 plus parts. And they can get you the right pump too. I suggest you read alot or hire one of them. If you want to learn here is a great video. Please take 20min and watch this BRS has great videos and this one is plumbing your reef

Perhaps I’ll pay someone...

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jda I checked everyone of those brands and not a single one can push 550gph @1.5meter through 1/2 inch. They need 3/4 inch...with that said I think he prob has 3/4 inch and doesn't realize it.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With return pumps I have learned to save money by spending money if I want specific flow.
I used vectra and it was disappointing and not good with head pressure.
I now run red dragon 80 watt and 100 watt on 2 diffrent setups. Impressive performance and accurate to what they would spec in their data sheet against diffrent head pressures.
The way I see it, I wasted 500$ on vectra not saving 200$ by not going red dragon from the get go.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back