Return pump - Will the hose without a nozzle be sufficient flow?

onlytoby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I went into my LFS today to look at buying a pump and also to discuss my DIY AIO tank.

None of the pumps come with tubing or a 'nozzle' or loc line that I can angle for flow and he suggested it may not be sufficient.

If I just had the tubing come through the hole in it's natual circular shape and size, would this be too strong or cause any issues? He suggested as it can't be angled to centre of the tank, it may not be enough.

The tank is 60cm x 40 x 40 and the return pump is on the right side.

If I had a powerhead, would this resolve the issue?

Where can I buy the nozzles for tubing or am I using the wrong terminology? I've tried looking on Google and can't find anything like used

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can hard pipe the return or use tubing. If you want to go the tube route then put a barb fitting on the pump. They sell them at hardware stores as well.

As far as getting it into the tank one of these will work and can be put anywhere.

If the tank is drilled and has a bulkhead then you can hard pipe the return line or put a barb fitting on a small pice of pvc attach to the bulkhead.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The return pump is not meant to be the flow for your tank that is done with power heads. The pump in your sump should be 3x to 5x the DT + sump volume for turnover. So for example my DT is 75gal and my sump is 25gals. So I want a 300 to 500gph pump but I can’t just buy a pump with that rating I have to account for head loss and fittings. For example a 300gph pump isn’t going to pump at that speed if it has to go 4ft vertical.

Last edited:

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back