Return Pump

urbanjaybird

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think that a Sicce Syncra SDC 3.0 is enough for main return in a 75 gallon display with a 40 breeder sump. I also have 2 MP10s. My current return pump is a Sicce Syncra Silent 5.0, but it seems way too much of a pump even without anything else running with it.

Reason for the SDC 3.0 is that I have one new in the box. Would I be better served tryin to trade that for a different pump? Preferably a DC.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do you think that a Sicce Syncra SDC 3.0 is enough for main return in a 75 gallon display with a 40 breeder sump. I also have 2 MP10s. My current return pump is a Sicce Syncra Silent 5.0, but it seems way too much of a pump even without anything else running with it.

Reason for the SDC 3.0 is that I have one new in the box. Would I be better served tryin to trade that for a different pump? Preferably a DC.
Im running a sicce 3.0 on a recently set up 400g. Will be more than adequate

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

Honestly, I think the current pump is fine. But I would use a valve to lower the flow. Are there any issues with the way it's going now?
If you think you could sell/trade the Sicce 5.0 pump and then use the Sicce 3.0 maybe that would work.
The Sicce 3.0 is more than enough for your 75, but if things are running smoothly, why change?

OP
OP
U

urbanjaybird

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I think the current pump is fine. But I would use a valve to lower the flow. Are there any issues with the way it's going now?
If you think you could sell/trade the Sicce 5.0 pump and then use the Sicce 3.0 maybe that would work.
The Sicce 3.0 is more than enough for your 75, but if things are running smoothly, why change?
I have it as low as it will go on the pump. I was thinking of adding a gate valve, but I would have to purchase that and wait for it to ship. I currently have the 3.0 that I could swap out.

It seems too strong of a direct current. I have it aimed across the tank, 4ft away. It has the edge of the 2 inch substrate showing bare glass bottom. If I change the angle of the return any higher, then I’m splashing and getting major salt creep and I’m losing more than fresh water and my ATO is actually diluting my salt readings.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have it as low as it will go on the pump. I was thinking of adding a gate valve, but I would have to purchase that and wait for it to ship. I currently have the 3.0 that I could swap out.

It seems too strong of a direct current. I have it aimed across the tank, 4ft away. It has the edge of the 2 inch substrate showing bare glass bottom. If I change the angle of the return any higher, then I’m splashing and getting major salt creep and I’m losing more than fresh water and my ATO is actually diluting my salt readings.
Sounds more like it's not working ( Sicce 5.0) for you. In that case I would switch them out and as I mentioned before use the 5.0 to trade or sell.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How do you have it a low as it will go without a gate valve? The pump isn't adjustable. A dc pump would be though.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was always to the understanding that any pump should not be run restricted or adjusted lower than 50% especially the dc pumps ..
I don’t know 100% for sure the reasoning behind it but was always told not to …

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back